Regulatory Information Officer, Risk & Data Analytics
Selection process number: 22/23-SIF-EA-8146
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The positions are located in Toronto; however, the successful candidate may work from the Ottawa or Toronto office.
As a result of the global pandemic, OSFI employees are currently working from home. Should the current telework environment no longer apply, and contingent on the operating model adopted by OSFI, you may be required to report into and work onsite from one of the following offices: Ottawa or Toronto. As our telework arrangements are evolving, we encourage you to apply.
OSFI is committed to achieving a representative workforce that reflects the diversity of the Canadian population. We are dedicated to building and promoting a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce, representative of all Canadians regardless of race, ethnicity, colour, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, socio-economic background or lived experience. By embracing diversity and inclusion, our department ensures broader discussions, better decisions, and a more positive workplace.
We invite you to be part of the change by joining an organization where individual differences are recognized, valued and respected. We welcome all candidates to apply and strongly encourage candidates to self-declare if they belong to an Employment Equity designated group Aboriginal* Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, Women or Visible Minorities (Black people and other racialized groups).
*The term “Aboriginal” is used within this job advertisement as it relates to the Employment Equity Act and other legislative frameworks. The term “Indigenous” is used where possible, in alignment with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Achieving a representative and diverse workforce has been identified as an organizational need for OSFI and may be applied at any time during this appointment process. If this criterion is used, only those who have indicated that they are members of the specified designated group(s) will be considered. As such, first consideration for an appointment may be given to candidates who self-declare as belonging to one of the four designated employment equity groups (Persons with a disability, Aboriginal people, Members of a Visible Minority, or Women).
In order to self-declare, please ensure to check off the appropriate box within the online application under the Employment Equity section. We encourage you to consult theses links to learn more about employment equity and self-declaration:
The Regulatory Information Officer, Risk Data & Analytics will provide technical expertise and operational support to OSFI’s data management, BI reporting and advanced analytics functions. Leveraging a mix of data engineering and data analytics skills, and in collaboration with partners across the enterprise, the Regulatory Information Officer will:
• Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
• Develop, implement and maintain ETL (data extract, transform and load) processes.
• Identify, design and implement process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery and re-designing processes and infrastructure for greater scalability.
• Assemble large, complex datasets that meet business requirements.
• Consult with staff in other units to determine the appropriate approaches for data platforms and participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of new reporting.
• Conduct ad-hoc analysis and deep dives on large volumes of data and provide impactful stories and insights.
• Gather and understand data requirements and develop complex solutions using structured analysis, data modelling and modern analytical platforms.
• Facilitate UAT and final solution delivery to stakeholders.
• Provide status updates, presentations, recommendations and respond to enquiries from division management.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new, mission-critical function within OSFI. If you are a passionate data and analytics practitioner looking to make an impact through innovation and technology – please apply within!
OSFI is an independent federal government agency that regulates and supervises more than 400 federally regulated financial institutions and 1,200 pension plans to determine whether they are in sound financial condition. In fulfilling its mandate, OSFI supports the government's objective of contributing to public confidence in the Canadian financial system.
Learn more about us 👉 https://youtu.be/QO_3vnPKuZI
Our People and Culture:
People are the foundation of our organization. You will become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone has varied experience and fosters an environment where communication and teamwork amplify our effectiveness. We have several networks dedicated to ensuring that the department continues to grow as an inclusive, accessible, respectful and diverse workplace. All employees are encouraged and welcome to join the following networks and participate in their activities and events.
• Diversity of Thought
• Family Responsibilities
• Mental Health and Accessibility
• Multiculturalism (Affinity Groups: Indigenous, Asian, Black)
• Unconscious Bias
Hear about our people 👉 https://youtu.be/diUspmpYWQI
💵 Compensation: OSFI offers a competitive salary, and employees may be eligible for in-range increases and economic adjustments. Salaries are based on qualifications, experience and knowledge. The Public Service Pension Plan is a defined benefits pension plan (indexed for inflation), where both the employer and the employee contribute.
💰 Performance Pay: OSFI employees are eligible for an annual bonus based on their performance throughout the year.
✈️ Vacation and Leave: OSFI employees start with 4 weeks of paid vacation, 2 personal days and 5 days of Family Related Leave with Pay among other various types of paid and unpaid leave.
💻 Flexible Work Arrangements: OSFI offers flexible work arrangements by providing support for compressed work week schedules, flexible work hours and teleworking, in order for employees to achieve their work objectives while achieving balance between work and homelife.
📖 Learning and Development: OSFI offers career advancement opportunities and encourages innovative thinking in its work environment. Employees may be reimbursed for relevant professional association membership fees.
Intent of the process
The immediate need is to staff two positions with a language requirement of English essential on an indeterminate basis.
A pool of qualified or partially qualified candidates may be created to staff similar or identical positions with various linguistic profiles and requirements, security requirements and/or various tenures within the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI), which may vary according to the position being staffed.
Positions to be filled: 2
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• A degree from a post-secondary institution specializing in business, commerce, economics, statistics, mathematics, data analytics, computer science, engineering or another relevant field OR an acceptable combination of education, experience and/or training.
• Recent* and significant** experience with databases and query authoring (SQL).
• Recent* and significant** experience with programming in object-oriented/object function scripting languages.
• Recent* and significant** experience working with modern BI and analytical tools.
• Recent* and significant** experience managing, assembling large complex volumes of data.
*Recent refers to relevant experience acquired in the past three (3) years.
**Significant is defined in terms of both depth and breadth of experience that is normally acquired by performing the tasks continuously over a minimum period of three (3) years.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
• Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases.
• Experience developing automated workflows for data management and analytical purposes.
• Experience working with modern data prep and data engineering tools such as: Alteryx, Trifacta, Datameer, Paxata or related tools.
• Experience working with modern data quality tools such as Informatica, Talend, IBM or related tools.
• Experience working with modern business intelligence tools such as: Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, SAS BI, MicroStrategy, Domo, Looker or related tools.
• Experience in conducting analysis using financial data.
• Experience with Big Data workflows and Cloud technologies such as Azure, Google, Databricks or related tools.
• Experience in a central support function (including Supervision Methods, Standards and Controls, formerly Common Supervisory Services) within financial sector regulation and/or supervision of OSFI.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
• Knowledge of data engineering, preparation and transformation platforms.
• Knowledge of current data management and data mining best practices and tools.
• Knowledge of BI reporting platforms.
• Interpersonal Communication
• Critical Thinking
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Knowledge of advanced analytical languages and platforms such as: SQL, R, Python, Scala, SAS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure or related tools and technologies
• Growth and Development
OSFI is committed to having a skilled and diverse workforce representative of the Canadian population. In order to meet our employment equity objectives, selection for this position may be made from among qualified candidates who self-declare as belonging to one of the following Employment Equity groups: Persons with a disability, Aboriginal people, Members of a Visible Minority, or Women. OSFI is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we strongly encourage candidates to self-declare if they belong to one of these designated employment equity groups.
• Ability and willingness to work overtime
• Ability and willingness to travel within Canada when required
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
In our current telework environment, the ability to work remotely from home within Canada with access to Internet in one’s residence is a condition of employment
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
For external processes (as indicated by the abbreviation “EA” in the selection process number), only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
OSFI is a separate agency with its own classification and compensation system. OSFI's staffing is subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA).
The ability to communicate effectively in writing may be assessed using the candidate's application, as well as through the evaluation process.
Assessments (such as written exams, interviews and reference checks) may be conducted virtually through email, telephone and/or videoconference.
Candidates must meet all of the essential qualifications to be appointed; however, one or more asset criteria may be invoked at any stage of the process.
Depending on the number of applicants, volume management strategies such as random selection, top-down approach and/or establishing cut-off scores to determine who will continue in the staffing process, may be used for the purpose of managing applications. Please note that although you may attain the established pass mark on any of the assessments used in this staffing process, management may decide to use a higher cut off score.
Eligible candidates may be considered and offered a deployment or interchange before considering other applicants.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
Email correspondence will be used as the main method of communication with candidates for this selection process, please ensure it accepts messages from unknown users. Please note that you need to provide valid and updated contact information.
All job applications must be submitted through the Government of Canada public service jobs website. Do not email or mail hard copy documents as these will not be accepted. To submit an application online, please click on the "apply now" button. Persons without Internet access may also review jobs open to the public through INFOTEL at 1-800-645-5605.
If you have a limitation that may impact your performance at any steps of the assessment process (such as submitting the application, written test, or an interview), you may request an accommodation. Assessment accommodations are designed to remove barriers, and to ensure that candidates with limitations can fully demonstrate their abilities. Should you wish to be accommodated, please inform us by sending an e-mail to the following address: Toronto.HR@osfi-bsif.gc.ca. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|OSFI Staffing Team – Toronto|
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS, USE THE APPLY ONLINE BUTTON.
IL FAUT FAIRE PARVENIR SA CANDIDATURE EN CLIQUANT SUR LE BOUTON POSTULER EN LIGNE ET NON PAS EN ENVOYANT UN COURRIEL À L’ADRESSE COURRIEL CI-DESSUS.
- Date modified: