Student - Social Media Coordinator
Selection process number: 2023-CAP-JAS-EA-STU-026
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The Jasper Field Unit is hiring one student to provide support in researching, developing and implementing social media content, and to create digital media (photos and videos) for Parks Canada social media channels, including Facebook and Instagram stories.
This is an opportunity to further expand your creative writing and communication skills, while working with all functions within the Parks Canada Agency researching topics related to conservation, wildlife and human wildlife co-existence, aquatic invasive species, species at risk, seasonal operations, history and featured activities. Experience in digital management is also necessary for photography and videography editing and processing (Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere Pro).
Intent of the process
This process will be used to fill one student vacancy for the Spring and Summer of 2023.
This process may be used to create a list of qualified candidates to staff similar positions with various tenures, security levels or linguistic requirements in the same or other parts of the country.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
A covering letter "In 700 words (maximum), applicants must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter how they meet the Education and Experience criteria listed in the Statement of Qualifications (see below). Applicants must list both of these factors in their cover letter, and then write one or two paragraphs for each demonstrating how they meet these factors by providing concrete examples. Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that these factors are met or to provide a listing of current or past responsibilities. Resumes will be used as a secondary source to validate the experience described in the cover letter. Failure to clearly demonstrate in your cover letter how you meet the Education and Experience factors found on the Statement of Qualifications (see below), may result in the rejection of your application. Normally, applicants will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information."
Contact information for 2 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• Successful completion of secondary school according to provincial standards or equivalent and currently registered as a full‑time or part-time post‑secondary student in an accredited academic program.
• Experience coordinating social media content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using social media management tools, such as Hootsuite;
• Experience in writing creative content, developing and implementing social media ideas;
• Experience using DSLR cameras, and its functions;
• Experience using photo and video editing programs, such as Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Pro;
• Experience in processing and cataloguing digital media.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
• Experience using digital equipment, and editing programs.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
• Exercises sound judgment;
• Takes responsibility;
• Demonstrates integrity;
• Strives for excellence.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance - You are required to obtain and maintain this security level throughout this employment at Parks Canada Agency.
Other Conditions of Employment:
• You will be required to possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s licence recognized by the province/territory applicable to this offer of employment.
• You will be required to work shift-work, and/or weekends, and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays as scheduled by your delegated manager. Compensation will be as prescribed in the Terms and Conditions of Employment applicable to you.
• You must be willing to work and travel in a variety of terrains and weather conditions in the performance of the duties.
• You will be required to work in adverse weather conditions.
• You may be required to wear a uniform while performing your duties. In this case, Parks Canada will provide you with the uniforms you require in accordance with the Parks Canada Uniform Policy.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
For tips to navigate the application process step by step, refer to the following site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW7P3g9hhI.
Please submit your completed application, including all of the above-mentioned documentation. Failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.
The Parks Canada Agency is established as a separate employer in the Federal Public Service under the Financial Administration Act. Persons appointed to the Agency continue to be part of the Public Service. The Parks Canada Agency operates under its own human resources framework outside of the Public Service Employment Act and in line with values of fairness, competence and respect, and its operating principles.
In accordance with paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act, information or material, whether provided directly by the candidate or otherwise obtained by the selection board, used during the selection process for the purpose of assessing a candidate may be used as part of the selection review and recourse processes. Such relevant information may be provided to third parties, such as other candidates or their representatives, who have a legitimate reason to be aware of that information.
Tips for applicants:
• Please provide complete and thorough details of your education and experience.
• Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided.
• Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Travel cost for individuals who are not Federal Public Servants will not be covered.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Lauren Beaton, Web and social media team, Jasper National Park|
- Date modified: