Computer Support Technician
Selection process number: 22-RCM-EA-G-YEL-INFORMATIC-112630
Update: AMENDMENT (CLOSING DATE)
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
In order to have your application considered, all screening questions must be answered. Candidates must provide CONCRETE EXAMPLES which demonstrate how they meet the education requirement and the experience factors listed in the essential qualification. Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that the requirement is met or to provide a listing of current responsibilities.
FOR EACH EXPERIENCE CRITERIA, please provide the following MANDATORY information:
1 - Name of the department or organization where the experience was acquired;
2 - Title of the position occupied and the period(s) in which you performed the functions(M-Y to M-Y); and
3 - Specific details of tasks or projects demonstrating how the experience was acquired and concrete examples.
FAILURE TO CLEARLY DEMONSTRATE IN THE SCREENING QUESTIONS HOW YOU MEET THE SCREENING CRITERIA (Education and Experience ) WILL RESULT IN THE REJECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION.
Resumes will be used as a secondary source to validate the education and/or experience described in the screening questions.
CANDIDATES WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FOR INCOMPLETE OR MISSING INFORMATION.
Employees are responsible for technical services and advice in the planning, development, configuration, installation, implementation, integration and maintenance of a departmental IT infrastructure in support of service delivery to internal and external clients, and stakeholders. The primary focus of this work is the support of clients’ desktop hardware, software, and account management.
The “G” Division Informatics Unit provides service to the entire Northwest Territories, which consists of 21 detachments and 50 remote sites. Employees frequently have to travel by vehicle, small fixed wing aircraft or helicopter to small communities and remote locations to maintain IT infrastructure and operations. Travel can be physically demanding as all equipment must be loaded and unloaded by a small team multiple times to service a location and return. Remote travel in the winter at temperatures down to -50°C can present challenges, so employees must be prepared and able to work in this environment.
The work environment for this position involves the following conditions:
• Primarily working at a desk in an office environment serving clients in person and other sites remotely.
• Frequent travel by small fixed wing aircraft or helicopter to remote sites or mountain top sites where poor weather conditions exist. Poor landing sites and inclement weather can make flying into and working at these sites dangerous.
• Occasional overnight travel is required, sometimes for extended periods such as several days or weeks for duty or training.
• Infrequently, while giving technical support in the field to operational sections, certain risks are encountered such as proximity to armed and dangerous suspects and uncomfortable working locations such as on board ships, small boats, aircraft or in the bush.
• May involve exposure to electrical shock when conducting electronic equipment maintenance and repair, exposures to RF energy, solder fumes, loud noises from test equipment, sirens, and exposure to injury when lifting and moving electronic equipment.
Yellowknife is classified as an Isolated Post. As such, the successful candidate must meet all the conditions under the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive prior to appointment. In addition, the successful candidate will be entitled to an Isolated Post Allowance. For more information please refer to the following website: http://www.njccnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?did=4&lang=eng
Important financial information:
• Successful candidates may be eligible for staff housing.
• Isolated Post Allowances (Northern Allowance) for Yellowknife ranges from approximately $10,761 to $24,866 which is based on if the employee has dependents.
• Vacation Travel Assistance is provided once a year for Yellowknife of approximately $1032 for each eligible member of the household.
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to staff one (1) permanent position in Yellowknife, NT.
A qualified pool of candidates may be established and may be used to staff future vacancies on a permanent and/or temporary basis.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Graduation from a two-year program of study from a recognized post-secondary institution with acceptable specialization in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed.
1. Indeterminate incumbents in the IT group on December 9, 2021 who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standard based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the IT group.
2. Indeterminate incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standard based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the IT group.
3. At the manager’s discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met using this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
*An acceptable combination is defined as: two years of related experience AND one relevant industry certification such as Microsoft, Novell, Comptia A+, ITSM, etc.
• Recent* experience** supporting a LAN/WAN environment (Microsoft, Novell or another relevant platform).
• Recent* experience** supporting a Microsoft Windows desktop computer networking environment.
• Recent* experience** with maintenance, installation and repair of computers and accessories.
• Recent* experience** performing network administration functions.
• Applicants who have successfully completed the applicable educational requirements within one year prior to the closing of this bulletin will have the experience requirement waived***.
* Recent" means within the previous five year (5) period.
** Experience” refers to the depth and breadth of relevant experience gained through the sustained fulfilment of key responsibilities for a period of one (1) year.
*** Applicants who meet the educational requirement (within one (1) year prior to the closing of this bulletin), but do not meet the experience requirements will be considered only if there are no successful applicants who meet both the educational requirements and the experience. Please note that successful applicants as per this consideration will be required to undergo a training/mentorship program while working on the job.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
• Experience** in MS Server 2012 or later.
• Experience** with Microsoft SCCM or SQL 2012 or later.
• Experience** with Microsoft Outlook and Exchange.
• Experience** in Novell NetWare or Novell OES2, or eDirectory.
• Significant**** experience** trouble shooting end user computer and software problems including Microsoft Office 2013 products or later, Windows 7 operating systems or later.
• Significant**** experience** administering users/resources within a Novell OES or Microsoft 2012 Server networking environment or later.
** “Experience” refers to the depth and breadth of relevant experience gained through the sustained fulfilment of key responsibilities for a period of one (1) year.
**** “Significant” refers to the depth and breadth of relevant experience gained through the sustained fulfilment of key responsibilities for a period of three (3) years.
• Willingness and ability to be recalled to duty outside normal office hours.
• Willingness and ability to work overtime, as required.
• Willingness and ability to travel for work and/or training purposes, using various modes of transportation.
• Willingness and ability to travel overnight, sometimes for extended periods.
• Willingness and ability to travel extensively, often by helicopter or small plane to remote sites.
• Willingness and ability to lift, carry and place heavy objects up to 40 lbs. in a safe manner.
• Possession of a valid driver’s licence.
• Meets and maintains the RCMP medical profile standards established for the position.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
The functions and duties of the position will only require the use of English.
Information on language requirements
• Knowledge of Information Technology Security and Application Protection.
• Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure/Platforms.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
• Ability to plan.
• Team Oriented
• Client Service Oriented
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• A+ Certification in troubleshooting hardware.
• Microsoft Certified Engineer.
Conditions of employment
• RCMP Top Secret Security Clearance.
Successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a RCMP Security Clearance throughout their employment. Positions filled will have security clearance requirements at the following levels: RCMP Reliability Status, Secret or Top Secret. This requires a Security/Reliability Interview, and a field investigation in matters of Criminal Activities, credit/finances, education, employment, reference, etc.
• Health Canada approved medical clearance (Isolated Post only).
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Your responses to the screening questions will be used as the primary source in determining whether you meet the screening requirements. If you do not fully complete the screening questions as instructed, you may be screened out.
Volume Management strategies may be used.
Please note that asset qualifications and/or a top-down approach may be used at any stage of the assessment process to identify which applications will be given further consideration.
Candidates may be assessed using one or more of the following tools: standardized tests, written exam, interview, simulation exercise and reference checks.
All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence and telephone conversations, may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Should a Civilian Member (CM) be found qualified and selected for appointment, the appointment will not result in a change of status to the Public Service (PS) category for the CM. Information regarding the CM appointment will be sent to all applicable candidates who are within the area of selection and participated in the advertised process.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Public Service Human Resources, K & G Divisions|
- Date modified: