Communications Assistant - Social Media and Internet Content
Selection process number: 2023-CAP-SWON-EA-TERM-011
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Would you like an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the field of communications working for a tourism-centred government agency? Parks Canada is looking for a creative, passionate candidate with excellent written communication skills to help promote information and stories on some of this country’s most significant natural and cultural heritage. Help us connect with all Canadians and visitors to share Parks Canada administered sites in Southwestern Ontario.
The Communications Assistant will work with the Parks Canada Southwestern Ontario Field Unit External Relations team to develop social media and communications products for Fort George, Fort Malden, HMCS Haida, Woodside, and Niagara National Historic Sites, and Point Pelee National Park.
Job duties overview:
• Support in assembling and organizing information, coordinating communication approvals, and preparing content for publication;
• Assist with the creation and writing of digital communications materials – including but not limited to: social media campaigns, web content, e-newsletters, media information and other support documents.
• Support in data organization for photo and video gallery and promotions products.
• Assist as needed with events both at our sites and in neighbouring communities, tourism programs, and other promotions and marketing tasks.
Hybrid: includes both remote work and office work in Hamilton, Ontario or Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to hire a student in an accredited institution or a recent graduate in the last 4 months who is a recent immigrant, from visible minority groups, living with disabilities, living with a single parent, living in low-income households, living in rural or remote areas, or facing other barriers to employment for summer 2023. Opportunity is 37.5 hours per week.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
A covering letter "which specifically addresses your experience and abilities related to this position (max 1 page)."
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
An acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience in social media and/or communications.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, and as part of a team.
• Must have exceptional communication skills in writing and be able to interact effectively with the public (virtually or in person).
• Must be well-organized and able to plan, prioritize, and complete assignments.
• Must also be able to synthesize information from various resources and points of contact.
• Must be able to create, deliver, and assess social media content.
• Experience with photography / videography is an asset.
• An effective leader who exercises sound judgment, personally connects with people, and strives for excellence.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Fluency in languages other than English is an asset.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
• Willingness to work irregular hours, weekends and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays, if required.
• Willingness to occasionally wear a Parks Canada uniform.
• Willingness to work in person in a Parks Canada administration building as part of a hybrid position.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
How to Apply
Submit a resume (2 pages max) and cover letter (1 page max) of your experience and abilities related to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The cover letter will be used to assess your writing abilities and experience with the skills related to this position.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Date modified: