Bilingual Visitor Services Attendant II - Rouge National Urban Park
Selection process number: 2023-CAP-RNUP-T-EA-002
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
We will only accept on-line applications received via the jobs.gc.ca site. Persons who are unable to apply on-line must contact the person listed below prior to the closing date.
All job applications must therefore be submitted through the Public Service Resourcing System. Following are some of the benefits associated with applying on-line.
- Applicants can create a profile and a resume that can be used when applying for other processes without having to recreate a new application each time.
- Applicants can modify their application/resume at any time BEFORE the closing date indicated on the job advertisement.
- Applicants can verify the status of their applications, at any time.
- Applicants can be notified electronically of tests or interviews and results.
- For some jobs, applicants will find important information, namely the job questionnaire and a complete statement of merit criteria that are only available when applying on-line.
To submit an application on-line, please select the button "Apply Online" below.
All information obtained throughout the selection process, from the time of application to close of process, may be used to evaluate the candidates.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in the questionnaire how they meet the Education and Experience criteria listed in the Statement of Qualifications. Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that these factors are met or to provide a listing of current or past responsibilities. Resumes will be used as a secondary source to validate the experience described in the questionnaire. Failure to clearly demonstrate in your questionnaire how you meet the Education and the experience factors found on the Statement of Qualifications may result in the rejection of your application. Normally, applicants will not be solicited for incomplete or missing information.
Greet visitors and provide information and orientation related to facilities, services, programs, features, regulations, safety precautions and protection objectives, in person at welcome areas and on trails, by phone or electronically.
Respond to visitors' needs by providing advice, information and assistance on Rouge National Urban Park and other national parks, historic sites and marine conservation areas in the surrounding area; respond to visitor complaints.
Sell products and issue refunds. Maintain cash balances, records and stock inventory; compile and record statistical data; complete forms, sales reports and use a point-of-sale system/computer system.
Perform routine cleaning and maintenance of grounds and facilities, report supply deficiencies and maintenance requirements; may perform facility rounds, hike trails, and maintain equipment such as audio-visual equipment.
Contribute to the visitor experience through the course of work; remain attentive to park conditions and environments to detect incidents and undesirable situations (e.g. inappropriate visitor behaviour, damage to heritage resources); report situations to park authorities. Assist with stewardship activities and other events throughout the park such as litter cleanups and invasive species removals.
Parks Canada is a federal government agency responsible for the protection and preservation of Canada’s outstanding natural and cultural resources through a system of national parks, national marine conservation areas and national historic sites in all regions of Canada.
A rich assembly of natural, cultural and agricultural landscapes, Rouge National Urban Park is home to amazing biodiversity, some of the last remaining working farms in the Greater Toronto Area, Carolinian ecosystems, Toronto’s only campground, amazing hiking opportunities, and human history dating back over 10,000 years, including some of Canada's oldest known Indigenous sites.
Rouge National Urban Park is one of the largest and best protected urban parks of its kind in the world, spanning 79.1 square kilometres in the heart of Canada's largest and most diverse metropolitan area, overlapping the cities of Toronto, Markham and Pickering and the townships of Uxbridge and Whitchurch-Stouffville.
Intent of the process
Term (various lengths, May to November 2023).
This process is intended to fill existing vacancies and may be used to fill anticipated vacancy(ies) with similar work descriptions and location(s).
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• A secondary school diploma or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
• Experience providing services to visitors/clients in a public, tourism and/or parks environment.
• Experience in anticipating/meeting public needs, resolving complaints, anticipating/detecting incidents and finding solutions.
• Experience in handling cash and operating point of sale systems.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Bilingual - Imperative (BBB/BBB)
Information on language requirements
Second Language Writing Skills Self-Assessment
In order to help you decide if you should apply to a bilingual position, an optional self-assessment of your writing skills in your second official language is available for you to take before completing your application.
For more information, please consult:
Unsupervised Internet Test of Second Language Writing Skills
• Knowledge of Parks Canada, Rouge National Urban Park and the Greater Toronto Area.
• Ability to interact with a wide variety of audiences.
• Ability to identify and take appropriate action to respond to visitor needs.
• Ability to identify potential hazards and take appropriate action to maintain a safe environment for staff and visitors.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Exercises sound judgment.
• Personally connects with people.
• Demonstrates integrity.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
• Possess at a minimum a valid G2 driver’s license.
• Possession of valid first aid and CPR certification.
• Willingness to work outdoors and in varied weather conditions.
• Willingness to wear a Parks Canada uniform, abide by uniform policy, and assigned Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• Willingness to work shift work, and/or evenings, and/or weekends and/or statutory holidays and/or provincial/territorial holidays.
• Willingness to set-up, take-down, and move equipment.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Did you know? Permanent or contract job offers (with a length greater than 6 months) are eligible for pension, health care and dental benefits. More information can be found at:
• Public service pension at a glance: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/pension-plan/plan-information/public-service-pension-glance.html
• Public Service Health Care Plan summary: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/benefit-plans/health-care-plan/public-service-health-care-plan-glance.html
• Public Service Dental Care Plan summary: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/benefit-plans/dental-care-plan/public-service-dental-care-plan-glance.html
For tips to navigate the application process step by step, refer to the following site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW7P3g9hhI.
Parks Canada is committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity under the Employment Equity Act, and strives to ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse nature of Canadian society. We encourage women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of a visible minority group to self-identify in their cover letter.
Please submit your completed application, including all of the above-mentioned documentation. Failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.
Reference checks may be sought.
An interview may be administered.
A test may be administered.
The Parks Canada Agency is established as a separate employer in the Federal Public Service under the Financial Administration Act. Persons appointed to the Agency continue to be part of the Public Service. The Parks Canada Agency operates under its own human resources framework outside of the Public Service Employment Act and in line with values of fairness, competence and respect, and its operating principles.
In accordance with paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act, information or material, whether provided directly by the candidate or otherwise obtained by the selection board, used during the selection process for the purpose of assessing a candidate may be used as part of the selection review and recourse processes. Such relevant information may be provided to third parties, such as other candidates or their representatives, who have a legitimate reason to be aware of that information.
Tips for applicants:
• Please provide complete and thorough details of your education and experience.
• Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided.
• Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Travel cost for individuals who are not Federal Public Servants will not be covered.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Date modified: