Selection process number: 22-CGC-HQ-EA-GRL-3308
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Completion of all requirements for a Bachelor’s degree, Applied (Bachelor’s) degree, OR diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution (university, college, or technical institute), with specialization in chemistry OR biochemistry OR cell/molecular biology, microbiology, OR plant pathology OR food science OR related sciences OR an acceptable combination of education and training with recent* experience in a field related to the position.** (see list of specializations below).
*Recent may be defined as experience obtained within the last two to five years.
**Chemistry, biochemistry, cell/molecular biology, microbiology, plant pathology, food science or other specialization in a field relevant to the duties of the position.
- Experience working under minimal supervision.
- Experience in processing, preparing, and analyzing samples in a laboratory for chemical, biochemical, or microbiological analysis.
- Experience in operating, maintaining, calibrating, and troubleshooting modern laboratory instruments / equipment.
- Experience with gathering, summarizing and interpreting analytical results using appropriate computer programs.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS (one or more of the following qualifications may be deemed essential, depending on the position being staffed)
Graduation with a post-graduate degree (e.g. M.Sc.) from a recognized post-secondary institution with a specialization in chemistry OR biochemistry OR cell/molecular biology, microbiology, OR plant pathology OR food science OR related sciences.
- Experience in writing data summary reports.
- Experience with analytical and instrumental techniques for quantification of grain/plant/food constituents.
- Experience creating, maintaining, or using quality control charts.
- Experience in the use of micropipettes.
- Experience in grain quality/functionality analysis (Wheat/Flour/Dough OR Barley OR Pulses OR Oilseeds).
- Experience with ISO 17025 or a Quality Management System.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
- Knowledge of the theories and principles of chemistry OR biochemistry OR molecular biology OR microbiology OR grain/food/nutritional sciences.
- Knowledge of the principles of analytical instrumentation or techniques.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practices.
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Being a Team Player
- Analytical thinking
ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Ability to collect data and perform data analysis using basic math and basic or summary statistics, using appropriate computer software.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance - or Secret clearance.
OTHER CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Work overtime as required.
- Work with and be exposed to hazardous chemicals and equipment.
- Wear appropriate protective clothing and/or equipment.
- Maintain standing and/or sitting positions for extended periods.
- Work in an environment where there is continual exposure to grain and flour dust (known allergies must be controlled through the use of personal protective equipment and/or medication, and must not impinge upon the work to be performed).
- Move and/or lift items (up to 20 kg.).
- Work in cold rooms for limited periods in order to retrieve samples.
- Adhere to laboratory safety standards and procedures.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|CGC Staffing Team|
- Date modified: