Attention ALL Nurses - We Have an Opportunity for YOU!
Selection process number: 21-AHS-HSI-EA-NCR-312725
Update: ** Amendment to closing date**
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
In order to support the COVID-19 response, enhanced border measures at airports and various ports of entry (POE), the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has a continuous need to establish roster of nurses who can support ongoing efforts
• Perform Health assessments of international travellers and make determinations on the risk to public health.
• Apply principles and knowledge of the disease process in the management and control of communicable diseases.
• Work with colleagues and managers to support effective communication and case management.
• Act as the Public Health Agency of Canada’s representative to network, engage and work collaboratively with partners of a variety of organizations to permit and support effective application of the Quarantine Act and to achieve other Agency goals.
• Work with stakeholders to create change within the travelling public in support of health promotion.
• Ensure that all public health literature, notices to the public, posters, alerts, etc. are clearly posted and implemented.
Intent of the process
The Public Health Agency of Canada will periodically pull and review the applications received and contact applicants selected for further assessment based on the needs. The first pull of applications may be as early as May 5, 2021. It is therefore important for candidates to indicate all the locations for which they are interested and registered to work in. Nurses already registered in the province where positions are available will be given first preference to the position. Additional locations, other than those listed above, may be considered based on the needs of the position being staffed. Candidates may be contacted to express interest in the additional locations.
The immediate intent of the inventory is to staff temporary nurses to prepare and respond to COVID-19. This could include casual and term (specified period) appointments. Preference will be given to those able to commit to full-time hours on a rotational basis and shift work.
A pool of qualified candidates may be created and may be used to staff temporary or permanent opportunities within the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Eligibility for registration as a registered nurse in a province or territory of Canada.
In order to be appointed, candidates MUST be registered in the province or territory where the position is being staffed.
Essential experience required for both the NU-CHN-03 and NU-CHN-04 positions (For the NU-CHN-03 position, a minimum of one of the above criteria must be met. For the NU-CHN-04 position, a minimum of two of the below criteria must be met):
- Experience in public health nursing practice*
- Experience in community health nursing practice**
- Experience in travel related nursing
- Experience in infectious disease nursing practice
*Public Health Nursing Practice is defined as the practice of promoting and protecting the health of populations using knowledge and techniques from Nursing, Social and Public Health sciences
**Community Health nursing practice is defined as delivering health services to individual, groups and/or families while working to promote health and prevent illness in groups and/or families.
- Experience in performing health assessments
Essential experience for the NU-CHN-04 ONLY:
- Experience working with Stakeholders in health promotion or disease prevention
- Experience in mentoring and training in a healthcare setting
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC
Effective Oral Communication
Effective Written Communication
Demonstrating integrity and respect
Effective interpersonal relationships
Showing initiative and being action oriented
Additional essential qualifications, asset qualifications, organizational needs, operational requirements and/or conditions of employment may be identified and applied during the assessment and/or selection of candidates.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Candidates MAY be required to meet the following education criteria, depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed as it may be deemed as either an Essential or Asset qualification:
Graduation with a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with acceptable specialization in nursing, nursing service administration, nursing education or some other specialty relevant to the position.
Candidates MAY be required to meet ONE OR MORE of the following qualifications, depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed as they may be deemed as either an Essential or Asset qualification:
- Experience in emergency preparedness and response
- Experience in health promotion at a community level
- Experience working on policy or working on committees to create policy or programs
- Experience screening individuals according to the Quarantine Act
- Experience in the enforcement of acts and/or legislation
Knowledge of the principles of communicable diseases and prevention in a public health setting.
- Willingness and ability to work overtime as required, on short notice.
- Willingness and ability to be on call, and on stand-by as required. This may require working in the evenings and on weekends.
- Willing and able to travel for work as needed.
- Willing and able to work shifts, variable hours, weekends, and statutory holidays.
- Willing and able to enforce the Quarantine Act (includes the issuance of tickets).
Conditions of employment
Security: Various - Reliability or Secret (dependent on position being staffed)
Current valid registration as a Registered Nurse and a member in good standing in the province where the position is located.
Valid class 5 driver's licence (depending on the position).
Travel to one or more POE (port of entry), as required (depending on the position).
Willingness and ability to successfully complete the Public Health Agency of Canada`s Officer designation program.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
NOTE: Positions located in Yellowknife, Whitehorse and Iqaluit are entitled to an Isolated Post Allowance + Vacation Travel Assistance, as per the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive: https://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/d4/en
COMMUNICATION FOR THIS INVENTORY will be sent by email. Candidates must check their email accounts frequently as there may be new communication regarding this inventory or a deadline for response. Responses provided after the indicated deadline may not be accepted. Candidates must include in their application a valid email address that is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users; some email systems block these types of email. Ensure to check/view your spam folder regularly.
Persons with a disability preventing them from applying on-line should contact us at 1-800-645-5605.
Travel status and relocation may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Casual employment is temporary employment of 90 working days or less, in a calendar year
Please note that If you have applied to the COVID-19 Nurse Inventory (selection process number: 20-AHS-HSI-EA-NCR-285824) or the Relaunch of COVID-19 Nurse Inventory (selection process number: 20-AHS-HSI-EA-NCR-294274), your application has been retained in those processes and appointments may still be made from those inventories. If you have gained experience since applying to the previous inventories, we encourage submitting an updated application to this inventory.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|PHAC HR Recruit|
- Date modified: