AS-03 INVENTORY - Launch Your Administrative Career with HC and PHAC
Selection process number: 21-NHW-CSB-EA-NCR-317305
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Health Canada (HC) and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is committed to increasing representation of Black employees and other racialized groups, Indigenous People, women and persons with disabilities. HC and PHAC would like its workforce to be reflective of the population it serves. Therefore, we encourage candidates to indicate voluntarily on their application if they are a member of one of these groups.
Give yourself the best chance to succeed! As the objective of this process is to assess qualifications needed for the position(s) to be staffed, let us know if you have a functional limitation/ disability, which may affect your performance. For example, contact us if you need assistance in completing and submitting your application. Should you then proceed to the next assessment stage, such as an exam or interview, we will send you an e-mail with additional information on the assessment format so that you can determine if you may require an accommodation (such as a different test format, an adaptive technology, or additional time). Assessment accommodations are designed to remove the obstacles without altering the criteria being assessed so candidates with functional limitations can fully demonstrate their abilities.
You may also review jobs open to the public through INFOTEL at 1-800-645-5605. The INFOTEL number for persons using a TTY/TDD is 1-800-532-9397.
HC and PHAC welcomes applications from Veterans. We recognize your contribution to Canadians and would like to offer you the opportunity to continue your career in an environment where multi-talented employees with diverse skills are appreciated and supported.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME
HC and PHAC are dedicated to building an inclusive workforce that comprises individuals who have an array of identities, abilities, background, culture, skills, perspectives, and experiences that are representative of Canada’s current and evolving population. We are passionate about fostering a workplace where all people feel welcome, can reach their full potential, and contribute their unique perspectives and experience to the success of the team.
BRING YOUR WHOLE SELF TO WORK
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of race, colour, religion, sex (including gender identity and/or expression), national origin, sexual orientation, civil union or relationship status, disability, age, parental status, military service, or other status protected under federal law.
In an Executive Assistant or Administrative Officer position at HC or PHAC, you may:
• Manage an Executive Director’s (or equivalent) agenda, answer general inquiries and redirect calls based on subject and urgency;
• Implement and maintain a system to track and report on progress;
• Develop support materials such as briefs, committee document summaries, agenda items, background for weekly meetings, working groups, and special conferences;
• Coordinate the provision of services to meet requirements for accommodation; telecommunications, material procurement, office supplies, and preparation of personal service contracts;
• Recommend administrative procedures and coordinate planning processes;
• Provide financial administrative support for the Budget Management Cycle;
• Lead the input of financial data, perform invoice and cost recovery processing, data reconciliation between various systems, reports, credit card/travel statements, travel reports and accounting records;
• Review completed work, and provides leadership in conveying information on behalf of the Executive Director (or equivalent) on the expected deliverables; and
• Supervise, monitor and coach staff.
HC is the federal department responsible for helping Canadians maintain and improve their health. Our goal is for Canada to be among the countries with the healthiest people in the world.
PHAC promotes and protects the health of Canadians by preventing and controlling chronic and infectious diseases and injuries as well as preparing for, and responding to, public health emergencies.
Are you interested in working for either HC or PHAC, which are cutting-edge organizations that value both your physical and psychological health and wellness, provide rich career development opportunities and reward innovation? HC is among Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2021 in addition to being recognized as Top employer for Young People since 2015 and as Best Diversity Employer since 2010!
Apply now to enjoy the unparalleled benefits of the public service and be part of our award-winning team!
Intent of the process
The intent of this inventory is to create a pool of candidates to draw from when vacancies arise within HC and/or PHAC at various locations across Canada.
There are immediate needs in the following locations: Guelph (Ontario) and Winnipeg (Manitoba). Candidates from these regions will be given first consideration.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
A response to a text question addressing the following:
- Candidates must respond to a written question that will assess the qualifications of Initiative and Written Communication.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• Secondary school diploma or employer-approved alternatives
• Experience (2 years on a full-time basis) in providing administrative services in at least two of the following areas:
- Human resources (e.g. staffing, classification);
- Financial operations (e.g. budget management, reporting);
- Procurement or contracting;
- Facilities/Accommodation projects (e.g. move);
- Travel arrangements and processing travel claims;
- Coordinating and quality control on briefing material or correspondence;
- Coordinating the logistics for meetings, events and teleconferences;
- Program or project support; or
- Coordinating and managing a senior management's emails and calendar.
• Experience in maintaining a tracking system, monitoring progress and following up on outstanding actions/deliverables.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Bilingual (BBB, CBC) or French Essential or English Essential.
• *Ability to communicate effectively in writing
• Ability to communicate effectively orally
• Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to supervise employees
• Ability to organize/orchestrate
• Respectful of diversity
• Thinking things through
• Ability to work in a team
*Initiative and ability to communicate effectively in writing will be assessed by using your response to the written question in your application.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
• Experience working in SAP or another financial system
• Experience in coordinating and preparing budgets
• Experience utilizing project management tools
• Experience analyzing, forecasting and reporting on financial activities to senior management
• Experience preparing and coordinating travel arrangements and claims using the Shared Travel Services portal (STS) or another system
• Experience working in a senior management office
• Experience liaising with senior management and their offices
To build a diversified workforce, HC/PHAC may limit the selection to candidates who have self-identified as belonging to one of the employment equity groups: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, women, and visible minorities.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance - or Secret status security clearance.
All employees of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
As we anticipate a large number of applications, we may be applying volume management strategies throughout the selection process such as, but not limited to, top-down approach, cut-off scores and/or random selection.
If you previously applied to selection process number 20-NHW-COLLECTIVE-NAT-AS03-000017, there is no need to reapply to this selection process. If you have applied to selection process number 20-NHW-COLLECTIVE-NAT-AS03-000017 and apply to this selection process as well, your application may not be screened or further assessed.
On October 6, 2021, the Government of Canada announced details of its plans to require vaccination across the federal public service.
As per the new Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, federal public servants in the Core Public Administration and members of the RCMP must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate (permanent), determinate (term), casual, and student hiring. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify terms and conditions of employment then the hiring manager or a human resources representative will contact you in order to complete an attestation.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|HC & PHAC Collective Staffing Team|
- Date modified: