Visitor Services Team Leader II
Selection process number: 2022-CAP-MIN-I-RM-OC-01-A
**Please note that if you have already applied for competition number CAP21J-018172-000016, you do not have to submit again, your application from the previous competition remains valid.**
WHO CAN APPLY?
Persons employed or residing within a 1050 kilometers radius of Havre-St-Pierre who have a legal status to work in Canada. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
The distance between your residence or your employment location and the position location will be determined using data provided by the Natural Resources Canada, geomatic's Canada Website. For information on how to use this website, please visit:
Plans, organizes, schedules, supervises and delivers visitor services operations to provide visitors of the park with opportunities to discover, appreciate, learn about and enjoy the place and its natural and/or cultural resources and understand their significance to Canada.
Parks Canada is a federal government agency responsible for the protection and presentation of Canada’s outstanding natural and cultural resources through a system of national parks, national marine conservation areas and national historic sites in all regions of Canada.
Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve:
Do you dream of open spaces, fresh air and of escaping from everyday life in a spectacular location? Come to the Mingan Archipelago! Discover the islands from Longue-Pointe-de-Mingan to Aguanish. Admire what nature has best to offer: spectacular scenery where the sparkling Gulf of Saint-Laurent, fragile rock formations, a rich avian diversity and exceptional vegetation come together. Surrender yourself to the enchantment of the grandiose landscapes of this unusual space. Come create your unforgettable moments in the heart of the Mingan Islands!
The Parks Canada team working at the National Park Reserve of the Archipelago Mingan includes 20 employees nearly 50 people in the summer. The fieldwork, exclusively on islands, requires travel which is provided by Parks Canada boat operators. Departures are from the marina of Havre-Saint-Pierre or Mingan.
Intent of the process
A seasonal position of 0.50 FTE (26 weeks) is to be filled, with the possibility of extension.
This process may be used to create a list of qualified candidates to staff similar positions with various tenures within the Mingan Field Unit.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
A covering letter "Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter how they meet the Education and Experience criteria listed in the Statement of Qualifications (see below). Applicants must list both of these factors in their cover letter, and then write one or two paragraphs for each demonstrating how they meet these factors by providing concrete examples. Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that these factors are met or to provide a listing of current or past responsibilities. Resumes will be used as a secondary source to validate the experience described in the cover letter. Failure to clearly demonstrate in your cover letter how you meet the Education and Experience factors found on the Statement of Qualifications (see below), may result in the rejection of your application. Normally, applicants will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information."
Contact information for 2 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Post-secondary degree in a field related to the position OR an acceptable combination* of education, training and experience relevant to the position.
*Acceptable combination of education, training and experience:
• Two years of post-secondary education; AND
• A minimum of two years of work experience in the fields of education, natural or cultural heritage development, activity facilitation, natural sciences or recreation and tourism.
• Experience in planning and/or providing services to the public in the field of tourism.
• Experience in supervising and/or mentoring work teams.
• Experience in evaluating and maintaining quality of services
• Experience in giving instructions and/or training.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Bilingual - Imperative (BBB/BBB)
• General knowledge of the natural and cultural heritage of Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve.
• Basic knowledge of working with various computer systems.
• Client Focus – Providing service excellence to internal and/or external client.
• Managing Resources – Manages resources (time, financial, human, physical and information) to achieve planned goals.
• Writing and interactive Communication – Listening to others and communicating articulately, fostering open communication, and good writing.
• Adaptability – Ability to adapt to work effectively in ambiguous or changing situations and with diverse people and groups.
• Problem Solving – Identifying problems and the solutions to them.
• Creativity and Innovation - Generating viable, new approaches and solutions
• Exercises sound judgment.
• Personally connects with people.
• Takes responsibility.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS :
The position requires the incumbent to:
• Deal with the stress of meeting the varied and unpredictable demands and requirements of visitors.
• Supervise a team of up to 20 people in various locations.
• Be required to work shifts and/or weekends and holidays, as required.
• Be required to wear the Parks Canada uniform as per the Parks Canada dress policy.
• Be required to work and/or travel in a variety of terrains, weather conditions, remote locations and by various means of transportation.
• Be required to stand and walk for long periods of time (e.g., walks on nature trails).
• Be required to work in various locations.
Conditions of employment
• Obtain and maintain reliability status.
• Have a valid class 5 driver's licence.
• A pre-employment medical examination is required as per the Isolated Posts Policy (in some remote areas).
• Able to get to work by one's own means.
• All Parks Canada Agency employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground of discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Parks Canada is committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity under the Employment Equity Act, and strives to ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse nature of Canadian society. We encourage women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of a visible minority group to self-identify in their application.
For tips to navigate the application process step by step, refer to the Following site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW7P3g9hhI.
HOW TO APPLY ?
We will only accept on-line applications received via the jobs.gc.ca site. All job applications must therefore be submitted through the Public Service Resourcing System. Following are some of the benefits associated with applying on-line.
- Applicants can create a profile and a resume that can be used when applying for other processes without having to recreate a new application each time.
- Applicants can verify the status of their applications, at any time.
- Applicants can be notified electronically of tests or interviews and results.
- For some jobs, applicants will find important information, namely the job questionnaire and a complete statement of merit criteria that are only available when applying on-line.
To submit an application on-line, please select the button "Apply Online" below.
Persons who are unable to apply on-line must contact the person listed below prior to the closing date.
Applicants who apply to this selection process must include in their application a valid e-mail address and make sure this address is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users. For this selection process, our intention is to communicate with applicants only by e-mail for screening/assessment purposes (including issuing screening results, and sending invitations for written tests and interviews).
When you apply, you must also submit the required documents (diplomas, references, etc.) by email to the following address: email@example.com
In the subject of of your email indicate the reference number and job title.
The Parks Canada Agency is established as a separate employer in the Federal Public Service under the Financial Administration Act. Persons appointed to the Agency continue to be part of the Public Service. The Parks Canada Agency operates under its own human resources framework outside of the Public Service Employment Act and in line with values of fairness, competence and respect, and its operating principles.
In accordance with paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act, information or material, whether provided directly by the candidate or otherwise obtained by the selection board, used during the selection process for the purpose of assessing a candidate may be used as part of the selection review and recourse processes. Such relevant information may be provided to third parties, such as other candidates or their representatives, who have a legitimate reason to be aware of that information.
On November 8th, 2021, the Parks Canada Agency announced the details of its vaccination requirement for all employees. As per the Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for Parks Canada Agency, employees must attest to their vaccination status.The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate, determinate (term), casual, as and when required, and student hiring (full-time, part-time and seasonal).
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Travel cost for individuals who are not Federal Public Servants will not be covered.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Marlène Arsenault, Visitor Experience Manager|
- Date modified: