***EXTENDED CLOSING DATE***Business Advisor / Team Lead
Selection process number: 2022-EA-SPB-IT_03-742
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation, the selected candidates will work remotely from his/her residence until further notice. When the decision is made for employees to return to the workplace, the successful candidates are expected to work in Ottawa.
*** NOTE: Candidates MUST submit their application through the online system available at: GC jobs. Applications submitted in any other format will not be accepted. If there are limitations or special circumstances preventing you from submitting your application via the PSRS online portal, you must contact the CBSA Recruitment team AND receive approval to apply via an alternate means PRIOR to the closing date.
*** NOTE: Applicants MUST complete the screening questions that will be generated by the system automatically once the candidate applies. Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their responses to the screening questions how they meet the Essential Qualifications (education AND experiences) as well as the Asset Qualifications (if applicable).
Supporting details are required for each qualification, explaining, for example, the extent of the experience and relevant dates. The answers provided to the screening questions will be the main source of information and the curriculum vitae may only be referred to as a secondary source of information. Failure to provide complete answers may result in job applications being screened from further consideration in this process.
Candidates must also submit a resume with their application, which will only be used to validate the information provided in their answers to the screening questions.
Should your responses to the screening questions contain insufficient details to demonstrate that you meet the screening criteria, your application will not be given further consideration in this process. Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information.
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is a complex and highly operational 24/7 organization which provides clearance, control and examination services for travellers, importers and exporters, at close to 1,200 service points, including land border offices, international mail processing centres, airports, sufferance warehouses, and a number of other service locations. The CBSA is located in seven Regions and the National Capital Region (NCR) with 75% of its employees located outside the NCR.
CBSA is looking at modernizing its management and organizational structures to better guide and support how its frontline staff deliver services. These changes include a wide-ranging set of initiatives that will change how the CBSA works. CBSA needs to move forward to foster continued thinking around the way we work, increase innovation, broadly employ more efficient and effective working methods in terms of our business delivery model and optimize decision-making.
If working in a fast paced environment and leading change excites you, it is the perfect time for you to join the Agency.
Intent of the process
A pool of partially or fully qualified candidates may be established from this selection process and may be used to staff similar positions with various tenures, various linguistic profiles as well as various security clearances within the Canada Border Services Agency.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Graduation from a two-year program of study from a recognized post-secondary institution with acceptable specialization in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed.
1. Indeterminate incumbents in the IT group on December 9, 2021 who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standard based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the IT group.
2. Indeterminate incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standard based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the IT group.
3. At the manager’s discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met using this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
EX1: Significant and recent* experience working in an Information Management and Information Technology (IM/IT) environment analyzing IM/IT requirements, delivering IM/IT solutions or providing IM/IT support.
EX2: Significant and recent* experience working closely with clients or stakeholders to determine, validate or document business or project management needs for IM/IT solutions.
EX3: Experience providing strategic advice and recommendations to senior management** regarding IM/IT issues or services.
EX4: Significant and recent experience* in project management or conducting business analysis in an IM/IT environment.
* Significant and recent experience refers to a depth or breadth of experience in the IM/IT field (obtained through education or by working in the industry) that would normally be acquired over a period of four (4) years or more in the last 7 years.
** Senior Management is defined as supervisor or manager, at the IT-04 level or higher and the industry equivalent (such as VP).
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
- English Essential
- Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB
- Ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to solve complex IT issues and provide recommendations.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, and organize work effectively.
- Effective Interpersonal skills
- Problem Solving
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
- A University degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Statistics or another relevant field.
ASSET OCCUPATIONAL CERTIFICATION
- Cloud Certification.
- Experience supervising personnel in an IM/IT environment, which includes setting performance objectives, and managing and evaluating work performance.
- Experience as a Business Analyst in defining opportunities and making recommendations for process and system improvement, including: analyzing, modelling and validating business process flows and data; assessing proposed solutions against anticipated business outcomes and requirements; developing business rules and business process re-engineering.
- Experience leading application development or deployment projects.
- Experience applying Agile Frameworks in the delivery of IM/IT solutions.
- Experience defining costs, timelines, and business value for an IM/IT service proposal or business case to address a business requirement.
- Experience developing an IM/IT strategic plan.
- Experience in AWS cloud or Azure cloud.
- Experience with operations or support of a Business Intelligence and Analytics related infrastructure.
- Experience in data analytics user support, testing or training.
- Experience in writing and refining user stories throughout Agile projects.
- Experience in Cognos or Power BI.
- Experience as a Scrum master in IM/IT projects.
- Willingness and ability to work overtime on short notice.
- Willingness and ability to travel on occasion.
Conditions of employment
Security: Reliability Status or Secret Security Clearance.
All employees of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Candidates must meet all the essential qualifications to be appointed to a position. You may be assessed using a variety of assessment tools, such as, but not limited to: standardized tests, written exams, interviews, simulation exercises, reference checks, recent and past performance evaluations, self-assessments, candidate achievement record, etc.
Please note that your overall conduct and communications, including email correspondence, throughout the entire process may be used in the assessment of qualifications and competencies.
You must provide proof of your education credentials. If you were educated outside of Canada, you must have your certificates and/or diplomas assessed against Canadian education standards. For more information please click on “Degree Equivalency” in the Education section above.
A top-down screening approach may be undertaken. Applicants who meet the essential experience criteria may be ranked according to the depth and breadth of experience they possess. Only the top ranking candidates may be invited to the assessment phase of the process. Asset criteria may also be applied at any stage in the process, including but not limited to the screening stage.
A cut-off score may also be used at any stage of assessment.
Recent and past performance evaluations and talent management information may be used as part of the assessment process.
LEAVE/ABSENCES DURING THIS SELECTION PROCESS: It is the responsibility of the candidate to notify the Departmental contact of any pre-approved leave throughout the duration of the process in order to facilitate scheduling of evaluations. One (1) alternate date will be possible only if requested for the following reasons: 1) Medical reasons with doctor’s certificate 2) Death in your immediate family 3) Confirmation of pre-approved travel plans or training plans (made before the advertisement posting date) 4) Religious reasons or 5) Participation in an assessment for another selection process.
Please note that achieving the pass mark on any of the assessments used does not mean you will move forward in the selection process. Management may decide to use a score that is higher than the pass mark on any of the evaluations used throughout the selection process.
Management may choose to invoke an asset(s) at any point of the process.
Persons are entitled to participate in the selection process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
Official language proficiency: due to its unique character, this essential qualification could be assessed and required solely upon appointment. It is therefore the candidate’s responsibility to inform the person in charge of the selection process if he/she obtains the linguistic requirements after the pool has been established. Also, a person who initially failed linguistic testing could be introduced into the pool of qualified candidates during the pool’s validity period if he/she is assessed again through another selection process or following linguistic training.
Communication for this process will be sent via email. Applicants MUST check their e-mail accounts frequently as there may be a deadline for responses. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email). Please note that we will have to consider that you are no longer interested in participating in the selection process and that you have withdrawn your candidacy should you not provide us with an up-to-date email address or respond to our communications.
If you need to communicate with us during any stage of this process, please indicate the selection process number in the subject field of your email.
Please ensure that your Personal Record Identifier (PRI) is included in your application.
Acknowledgement of receipt of applications will not be sent; we will contact candidates when the screening process is completed.
Indeterminate employees at the same group and level or equivalent could be considered for deployment. If no deployment is made, applicants from other groups and levels will be considered in the advertised appointment process.
The Public Service of Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrierfree selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity or testing, you should advise the Public Service Commission or the departmental official in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
On October 6, 2021, the Government of Canada announced details of its plans to require vaccination across the federal public service.
As per the new Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, federal public servants in the Core Public Administration and members of the RCMP must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate (permanent), determinate (term), casual, and student hiring. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify terms and conditions of employment then the hiring manager or a human resources representative will contact you in order to complete an attestation.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Kevin Brown, Human Resources Advisor|
- Date modified: