Parks Canada, Newfoundland East Field Unit - Student Summer Employment Inventory (Various Streams)
Selection process number: 2021-CAP-EN-STU-RM-OC-09
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
★★ PLEASE NOTE: ★★
Interested in working at Hawthorne Cottage? If interested in working at Hawthrone Cottage (Brigus, NL) please select Avalon Peninsula - Other Locations in the Work Location section of your application.
★★ PLEASE NOTE: ★★
The next pull of applications for this inventory competition will be pulled on March 31, 2021 - 08:00, Newfoundland Time. Subsequent applications will be pulled as needed.
For a summary of duties for the below student streams please email email@example.com.
SU-01 - Student Heritage/Park Communicators
SU-02 - External Relations Students
SU-03 - Student Attendants
SU-04 - Student Cleaners
SU-05 - Resource Conservation Students
SU-06 - Student Labourers
Parks Canada in Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador offers a number of employment options for students. Students are employed each summer in Terra Nova National Park, Cape Spear Lighthouse National Historic Site, Signal Hill National Historic Site, Castle Hill National Historic Site, Ryan Premises National Historic Site and Hawthorne Cottage National Historic Site.
Parks Canada is a federal government agency responsible for the protection and presentation of Canada's outstanding natural and cultural resources through a system of national parks, national marine conservation areas and national historic sites in all regions of Canada.
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to hire students for summer 2021.
Please clearly indicate in your application which location position you are interested in. If you are interested in more than one position, please indicate them in order of preference. We may only contact students who demonstrated clearly in their resume the skills required for this opportunity.
Students are not required to have previous work experience in order to apply for these opportunities.
Positions to be filled: 30
Information you must provide
Contact information for 2 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• Registered as a full-time student in a recognized institution (high school, CEGEP, College, University, etc.) and returning to full-time studies for the next academic term (Fall 2021).
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
English or French
• K1- Knowledge of Parks Canada, it’s programs and/or services
• A1 - Ability to communicate clearly and provide information to the general public, supervisors and fellow employees
• A2 – Teamwork skills
• A3 - Ability to deliver presentations using effective communication techniques (used for HERITAGE/PARK COMMUNICATORS/EXTERNAL RELATIONS ONLY)
• PS1 - Exercises Sound Judgment
• PS2 - Demonstrates reliability and dependability
• PS3 - Demonstrates initiative
• PS4 - Attention to detail
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Candidates must be willing to wear the Parks Canada uniform and/or costume.
• Candidates must be willing to work a variable schedule, including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
• Candidates must be willing to work outdoors and be exposed to various weather conditions while performing work requiring moderate physical effort (i.e. hiking/guided tours in natural environments).
• Resource Conservation candidates must be willing to perform work requiring moderate physical effort in back-country areas in all weather conditions, this includes hiking on and off trails through varied terrains.
• Candidates are responsible for their own transportation to/from the work location – transportation is not provided.
• Student housing is limited in Terra Nova National Park and may not be available for all candidates interested in that work location.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
• Candidate must currently be a full-time secondary or post-secondary student enrolled at an accredited institution.
• Candidate must be returning to full-time secondary or post-secondary studies at an accredited institution in the next academic year.
• Candidate must be the minimum age to work in Newfoundland and Labrador.
• Successful candidate may be required to possess and maintain a valid class 5 driver’s licence, if applicable to the position.
• All eligible students must have legal status to work in Canada. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
You will be required to submit proof of education enrollment for the next academic term.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection and appointment processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to this process, please advise the Parks Canada representative in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Date modified: