Are you a Physician or Nurse Practitioner? Join the Public Service team!
Selection process number: 20-NHW-SPECIALIZED-NAT-MOF3CHN04-000004
----The closing date has been extended and will now be closing on August 20, 2022----
Health Canada’s Public Service Occupational Health Program (PSOHP) is looking for Occupational Health Medical Officers & Nurse Practitioners for various cities across Canada. There are currently vacancies in Toronto (MD-MOF-03 & NU-CHN-04) and Montreal (MD-MOF-03). Other positions in Halifax, Moncton, St. John’s, Quebec City, Kingston, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria and Vancouver could become available at any time.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
What will you be doing?
•You are a key partner in the delivery of PSOHP medical services to clients both in clinic, on work site and following designated clinics examination. The medical evaluations include pre-placement, periodics, Fitness to Work, retirement on medical grounds and superannuation, as well as, related advice, recommendation and consultation.
• In the National Capital Region Clinic, you will also provide travel medicine advice services and preposting/cross-posting/return from posting, as well as specific services to overseas-posted clients.
• You have a diverse clientele serving most federal departments and agencies, for example providing occupational health services to the Canada Border Services Agency, Correctional Services, Global Affairs Canada, Canadian Coast Guard, Environment Canada, Department of National Defense, to name a few.
• You will be expected to contribute your expertise through working groups on national projects.
• You will be expected to maintain a clinic cohesion amongst local and national clinical teams.
Are you right for the job?
As a key player of a multi-disciplinary team, you strive in working effectively with others in taking decisive action and are able to manage conflict effectively. You are able to process and analyse information, as well as, provide solutions while being able to respond to urgent demands, tight deadlines and shifting priorities. As you work in an operational environment, you achieve results, you have strong communication skills both written and verbal, as well as, uphold integrity and respect including being respectful of diversity. You are strong at mobilizing people and collaborating with partners and stakeholders
If you are interested in finding more about this opportunity, or maybe you know someone who could fulfill this role, share and/or click on apply online!
Who are we?
Health Canada is the federal department responsible for helping Canadians maintain and improve their health. Our goal is for Canada to be among the countries with the healthiest people in the world. For more information, please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada.html
Within Health Canada, the PSOHP is the occupational health service provider responsible for the provision of three service lines for federal government department employers: Occupational Health Evaluations Services, Communicable Diseases Services and Occupational Hygiene Advice.
The PSOHP offers you a unique opportunity to work alongside a multidisciplinary team of Occupational Health Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Occupational Health Physicians, Administrative Officers and Managers who, together, make a REAL difference in the health of Canadian Federal Public Servants.
Why should you consider Health Canada as your next career stepping-stone?
As one of the largest employers in the country, Health Canada provides its employees with an exceptional workplace, opportunities for professional development, access to continued learning throughout their careers and flexible work schedules. We have been selected from hundreds of organizations across Canada to receive the award for Top National Capital Region Employer, Top Employer for Young People, as well as Top Diversity Employer for 2019. As a result, you will have the opportunity to work with engaged individuals. You will also enjoy your salary and ALL the benefits (dental and health care) for you and your family, as well as, an appealing pension plan and access to our Family and Employee Assistance Program.
Intent of the process
The intent of this inventory is to have a pool of interested candidates and/or qualified candidates to draw from when vacancies arise and for current and future needs within Health Canada. Resumes and applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis as long as the poster is active, and the closing date may be extended.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
A covering letter in 2,000 words (maximum) "Please provide a cover letter that explains how, when and where you acquired the required (must-have) education and experience. If you have any of the "nice-to-have criteria" education and/or experience, do not forget to tell us."
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Are you ready to join us? Below are what you must have:
• MD-MOF-03: Graduation with a degree from a recognized school of medicine
• NU-CHN-04: Nurse Practitioner designation based on experience, relevant education and/or training
• MD-MOF-03: Current license to practice medicine in a province or territory of Canada and a member in good standing in that province or territory
• NU-CHN-04: Current registration as a Registered Nurse Practitioner in a province or territory of Canada and a member in good standing in that province or territory
• Significant* and recent** experience as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician in primary care medicine, including performing health evaluations and providing advice and recommendations
*Significant is defined as the depth and breadth of experience which would normally be acquired over a period of five (5) years
**Recent is defined as having gained the five (5) years experience within the last seven (7) years
• Experience working in a multidisciplinary team setting
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
Below are the nice-to-have criteria:
• MD-MOF-03: Certification by the Canadian Board of Occupational Medicine or a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) in Occupational Medicine or Community Medicine or a recognized equivalency
• MD-MOF-03: Designated Transport Canada Marine Medical Examiner
• MD-MOF-03: Diving Medicine Certification
• MD-MOF-03/NU-CHN-04: International Society of Travel Medicine Certification
• NU-CHN-04: Certification in Occupational Health Nursing from the Canadian Nurses’ Association
• NU-CHN-04: Certificate or Diploma in Occupational Health Nursing
• Experience conducting occupational health assessments
• Experience in the field of clinical occupational health medicine
• Experience in interpreting occupational health or occupational screening tests (e.g., audiograms, visions tests, and spirometry)
• Experience in the medical assessment of patients for disability and fitness to work
• Experience in conducting immunizations or tuberculin skin tests
• Experience in the field of travel health medicine
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
English essential, Bilingual imperative (intermediate BBB, advanced CBC and CCC). For more information, please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/services/second-language-testing-public-service.html)
Second Language Writing Skills Self-Assessment
In order to help you decide if you should apply to a bilingual position, an optional self-assessment of your writing skills in your second official language is available for you to take before completing your application.
For more information, please consult:
Unsupervised Internet Test of Second Language Writing Skills
Conditions of employment
• Reliability Status security clearance
• License in good standing as a Nurse Practitioner or Medical Doctor in the province where the position is located
• Willingness and ability to complete mandatory education/training relevant to the position
• Willingness and ability to travel as required based on operational needs (including overnight travel)
• Willingness and ability to work overtime and/or modify work hours based on operational requirements
• Possession of a valid driver’s license or personal mobility to the degree associated with possession of a valid driver’s license (such as public transportation)
• Willingness and ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Ability to manually lift and carry equipment safely to a maximum of 20 kg when travelling from the office location to deliver services
• Work in the office/clinic required. Remote work may be considered in accordance with operational requirements
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request special accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
You are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of your choice (English or French). You are asked to indicate your preferred official language in your application.
Health Canada (HC) is committed to increasing representation of Black employees and other racialized groups, Indigenous People, women and persons with disabilities. HC would like its workforce to be reflective of the population it serves. Therefore, we encourage candidates to indicate voluntarily on their application if they are a member of one of these groups.
Give yourself the best chance to succeed! As the objective of this process is to assess qualifications needed for the position(s) to be staffed, let us know if you have a functional limitation/ disability, which may affect your performance. For example, contact us if you need assistance in completing and submitting your application. Should you then proceed to the next assessment stage, such as an exam or interview, we will send you an e-mail with additional information on the assessment format so that you can determine if you may require an accommodation (such as a different test format, an adaptive technology, or additional time). Assessment accommodations are designed to remove the obstacles without altering the criteria being assessed so candidates with functional limitations can fully demonstrate their abilities.
You may also review jobs open to the public through INFOTEL at 1-800-645-5605. The INFOTEL number for persons using a TTY/TDD is 1-800-532-9397.
HC welcomes applications from Veterans. We recognize your contribution to Canadians and would like to offer you the opportunity to continue your career in an environment where multi-talented employees with diverse skills are appreciated and supported.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME
HC is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce that comprises individuals who have an array of identities, abilities, background, culture, skills, perspectives, and experiences that are representative of Canada’s current and evolving population. We are passionate about fostering a workplace where all people feel welcome, can reach their full potential, and contribute their unique perspectives and experience to the success of the team.
BRING YOUR WHOLE SELF TO WORK
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of race, colour, religion, sex (including gender identity and/or expression), national origin, sexual orientation, civil union or relationship status, disability, age, parental status, military service, or other status protected under federal law.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Health Canada Specialized Recruitment Team|
- Date modified: