Senior Security Operations Analyst
Selection process number: 22-23-SIF-EA-8645
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
OSFI believes in offering employees flexibility and in creating a workplace that is productive, engaging, collaborative, and inclusive, all the while being supportive of employees’ wellbeing. As such, OSFI is experimenting with a hybrid work model (a combination of telework and onsite work) that will shape how we use our physical workplace to establish new norms, ways of collaborating, and working together and will adjust its model based on lessons learned.
POSITION LOCATION / WORK ARRANGEMENT:
This position is located in Ottawa; however, the successful candidate may work from the Ottawa or Toronto OSFI office - as agreed with their manager.
OSFI’s hybrid model promotes a workplace in which, on any given day, there is a mixture of employees teleworking from alternative places within Canada, working onsite at their designated position location or from another OSFI office. We encourage candidates who want to work in one of OSFI’s offices to apply.
OSFI is committed to achieving a representative workforce that reflects the diversity of the Canadian population. We are dedicated to building and promoting a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce, representative of all Canadians regardless of race, ethnicity, colour, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, socio-economic background or lived experience. By embracing diversity and inclusion, our department ensures broader discussions, better decisions, and a more positive workplace.
We invite you to be part of the change by joining an organization where individual differences are recognized, valued and respected. We welcome all candidates to apply and strongly encourage candidates to self-declare if they belong to an Employment Equity designated group: Aboriginal* Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, Women or Visible Minorities (Black people and other racialized groups).
*The term “Aboriginal” is used within this job advertisement as it relates to the Employment Equity Act and other legislative frameworks. The term “Indigenous” is used where possible, in alignment with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Achieving a representative and diverse workforce has been identified as an organizational need for OSFI and may be applied at any time during this appointment process. If this criterion is used, only those who have indicated that they are members of the specified designated group(s) will be considered. As such, first consideration for an appointment may be given to candidates who self-declare as belonging to one or more of the four designated employment equity groups (Persons with a disability, Aboriginal people, Members of a Visible Minority, or Women).
In order to self-declare, please ensure to check off the appropriate box within the online application under the Employment Equity section. We encourage you to consult theses links to learn more about employment equity and self-declaration:
Requiring senior expertise, conducts a broad range of cyber security operational activities including tool installation, configuration, tuning, and maintenance.
Performs extensive research and analysis of Azure Cloud solutions (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS) and analyzes the development of strategic plans, system security recommendations, and security control planning and implementation. Ensures security standards and best practices are appropriately integrated into development of cloud applications and deployments.
Manages identity and access; and protects data, applications, and networks in Azure cloud and on premises environments as part of end-to-end infrastructure. Responsible for the day-to-day administration and maintenance of cloud security controls, MS defender, CASB, Sentinel, and vulnerability scanning tools. Produces metrics and reports on the overall OSFI security posture.
Investigates, responds, escalates and participates in the research, analysis, root cause identification and resolution of security incidents. Identifies and reports vulnerabilities, non-compliant and other risk patterns.
Participates on various OSFI and external committees and working groups; providing guidance regarding cyber security threats, incident handling, trends and developments. Builds and establishes effective working relationships with colleagues promoting Cyber Security.
OSFI is an independent federal government agency that regulates and supervises more than 400 federally regulated financial institutions and 1,200 pension plans to determine whether they are in sound financial condition. In fulfilling its mandate, OSFI supports the government's objective of contributing to public confidence in the Canadian financial system.
Learn more about us 👉 https://youtu.be/QO_3vnPKuZI
Our People and Culture:
People are the foundation of our organization. You will become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone has varied experience and fosters an environment where communication and teamwork amplify our effectiveness. We have several networks dedicated to ensuring that the department continues to grow as an inclusive, accessible, respectful and diverse workplace. All employees are encouraged and welcome to join the following networks and participate in their activities and events.
• Diversity of Thought
• Family Responsibilities
• Mental Health and Accessibility
• Multiculturalism (Affinity Groups: Indigenous, Asian, Black)
• Unconscious Bias
Hear about our people 👉 https://youtu.be/diUspmpYWQI
💵 Compensation: OSFI offers a competitive salary, and employees may be eligible for in-range increases and economic adjustments. Salaries are based on qualifications, experience and knowledge. The Public Service Pension Plan is a defined benefit pension plan (indexed for inflation), where both the employer and the employee contribute.
💰 Performance Pay: OSFI employees are eligible for an annual bonus based on their performance throughout the year.
✈️ Vacation and Leave: OSFI employees start with 4 weeks of paid vacation, 2 personal days and 5 days of Family Related Leave with Pay among other various types of paid and unpaid leave.
💻 Flexible Work Arrangements: OSFI offers flexible work arrangements by providing support for compressed work week schedules, flexible work hours and teleworking, in order for employees to achieve their work objectives while achieving balance between work and homelife.
📖 Learning and Development: OSFI offers career advancement opportunities and encourages innovative thinking in its work environment. Employees may be reimbursed for relevant professional association membership fees.
Intent of the process
The immediate need is to staff one English essential position on an indeterminate basis.
A pool of qualified or partially qualified candidates may be created to staff similar or identical positions with various linguistic profiles and requirements, security requirements and/or various tenures within the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI), which may vary according to the position being staffed.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- Successful completion of an acceptable post-secondary educational program in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Six (6) years of experience in information technology.
- Four (4) years experience managing and securing Windows operating systems.
- Four (4) years experience with log analysis
- Two (2) years experience with cloud security tools and technologies, such as Defender, CASB, and Sentinel.
- One (1) year of experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell and KQL.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
- CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, MS Azure security certificate or other relevant cloud security certification preferred.
- Five (5) years experience managing Active Directory
- Four (4) years experience managing virtual machines
- Two (2) or more years security experience with major cloud platforms, such as Azure, AWS, and GCP.
- Two (2) years of experience as a senior analysis in a cyber security role.
- One (1) year of experience with DevOps or DevSecOps methodologies and practices.
- One (1) year of experience managing Linux-based operating systems
- One (1) year experience managing backup solutions
- Experience with Cisco firewalls
- Experience as an Information Security Architect
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
- Knowledge of managing Active Directory
- Knowledge of securing Windows operating systems.
- Knowledge of use of Azure cloud security technologies (e.g. Defender, CASB, and Sentinel).
- Thorough knowledge of log analysis in support of cyber security operations.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. PowerShell and KQL).
- Knowledge of network technologies (e.g. routing, switching, firewall, proxy and etc.).
- Results Orientation
- Interpersonal Communication
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
- Thorough understanding of cloud log management.
- Knowledge of managing virtual machines
- Knowledge of managing and securing Linux-based operating systems
- Knowledge of major cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS, or GCP).
- Thorough understanding of Azure cloud service models (e.g.IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS).
- Thorough understanding of IAM in the cloud.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of communication, consultation, teamwork and writing, to facilitate building relationships with colleagues in other units
- Knowledge of the national and international evolving cyber security threat landscape including evolving trends and developments, cybersecurity products, vendors, and industry best practices
- Knowledge of designing and implementing security solutions for on-premises and cloud environments.
- Knowledge of DevOps or DevSecOps methodologies and practices.
- Knowledge of Cisco firewalls
- Knowledge of backup solutions.
- OSFI is committed to having a skilled and diverse workforce representative of the Canadian population. In order to meet our employment equity objectives, selection for this position may be made from among qualified candidates who self-declare as belonging to one or more of the following Employment Equity groups: Persons with a disability, Aboriginal people, Members of a Visible Minority, or Women. OSFI is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we strongly encourage candidates to self-declare if they belong to one of these designated employment equity groups.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Canada when required.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime/ flexible hours as required
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
- In our hybrid workplace environment, the ability to work remotely from home within Canada with access to the Internet in one’s residence is a condition of employment.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
For external processes (as indicated by the abbreviation “EA” in the selection process number), only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
OSFI is a separate agency with its own classification and compensation system. OSFI's staffing is subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA).
The ability to communicate effectively in writing may be assessed using the candidate's application, as well as through the evaluation process.
Assessments (such as written exams, interviews and reference checks) may be conducted virtually through email, telephone and/or videoconference.
Candidates must meet all of the essential qualifications to be appointed; however, one or more asset criteria may be invoked at any stage of the process.
Depending on the number of applicants, volume management strategies such as random selection, top-down approach and/or establishing cut-off scores to determine who will continue in the staffing process, may be used for the purpose of managing applications. Please note that although you may attain the established pass mark on any of the assessments used in this staffing process, management may decide to use a higher cut off score.
Eligible candidates may be considered and offered a deployment or interchange before considering other applicants.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
Email correspondence will be used as the main method of communication with candidates for this selection process, please ensure it accepts messages from unknown users. Please note that you need to provide valid and updated contact information.
All job applications must be submitted through the Government of Canada public service jobs website. Do not email or mail hard copy documents as these will not be accepted. To submit an application online, please click on the "apply now" button. Persons without Internet access may also review jobs open to the public through INFOTEL at 1-800-645-5605.
If you have a limitation that may impact your performance at any step of the assessment process (such as submitting the application, written test, or an interview), you may request an accommodation. Assessment accommodations are designed to remove barriers, and to ensure that candidates with limitations can fully demonstrate their abilities. Should you wish to be accommodated,please inform us by sending an e-mail to the following address: HROstaffing@osfi-bsif.gc.ca. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|OSFI Staffing Team – Ottawa|
- Date modified: