Financial Specialist Inventory
Selection process number: 2020-PEN-EA-NHQ-164712
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Reference checks may be sought.
An interview may be conducted.
A test may be administered.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
A random and/or top down selection of candidates may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process.
Verifies, reconciles, analyzes, researches, resolves errors / rejects / variances and processes departmental financial transactions (revenue and/or expenditure) identified in the financial data or processes other information maintained in the departmental financial management systems / files /records.
Ensures financial transactions are in compliance with governmental and departmental financial policies, directives and delegated financial signing authorities.
Provides information and clarification to departmental employees, and other clients on departmental financial policies/directives relating to receivables / payables, and other such financial transactions.
Follows-up on outstanding financial transactions/issues such as expenditures and accounts receivable with managers and clients.
Receives, controls, safeguards and reconciles cash, cheques and other negotiable instruments and prepares for deposit at commercial bank(s).
Maintains financial and accounting documents/records for auditing/reference purposes.
Intent of the process
Create an inventory, which can be used for indeterminate, term, part-time or casual appointments.
NOTE - casual employment means a short-term employment option to hire persons to the Public Service for a period not to exceed 90 working days in one department in any one calendar year
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• Secondary school diploma
• Experience in accounting operations such as auditing, accounts received or accounts payable, including the use of a computerized financial system.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
• A degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce or economics or eligibility for a recognized professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA or CGA).
• Experience working for a Federal Government department in an area related to finance (i.e. account payable, account receivable or contracting).
• Experience working in a revolving fund environment.
• Experience providing service to clients by telephone, in person or in writing.
• Experience in the use of a financial system (e.g., SAP, Oracle, Free Balance).
• Experience in document management (life cycle, preservation (maintenance) and elimination of documents).
• Experience providing Federal Government financial policy/ directive interpretation.
• Experience working with Shared Travel Services / HRG.
• Experience in reconciling financial accounts.
• Experience working with Excel.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB
Information on language requirements
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to analyze, interpret and apply finance related policies and/or guidelines and/or procedures.
• Demonstrating integrity & respect
• Thinking things through
• Working effectively with others
• Showing initiative and being action-oriented
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Willing and available to occasionally work overtime.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Date modified: