Visitor Services Attendant II - (Visitor Centre/Entry Gates/Various Locations)
Selection process number: 2021-CAP-BNP-OC-077
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Applications for this competition will be pulled on a weekly basis until the closing date listed above.
1. Candidates will be asked to participate in an interview; various media sources may be utilized.
2. Living accommodations will not be provided
Preference may be given to candidates who self-identify as, Indigenous, visible minorities or persons with disabilities, as well as youth facing barriers to employment. As such, we encourage you to self-identify on your resume.
*** NOTE: When submitting your application to this selection process, you will be required to answer screening questions to demonstrate how you meet the Essential Qualifications (Education and all Essential Experiences).
Your job application must clearly demonstrate that you meet all the pre-screening requirements in order to move on to the next step. Please explain how you meet the essential criteria of education and experience. Do not forget to specify the period during which you have held each function (month and year), and where you acquired the qualification. The answers to the pre-screening questions will be the main source of information that the assessment board members will be using to determine whether you have the essential qualifications for education and experience. Your resume must corroborate your answers to the pre-screening questions. The lack of information in the form requested may result in the rejection of your application.
This competition will be used to fill positions at the following locations:
• Banff East Gate: Visitor services and revenue collection at entrance gateways to the National Park to contribute to visitor use, enjoyment and appreciation. Providing information and direction as well as a sense of welcome to visitors entering the park.
• Mobile Gate and Information Team: Providing visitor information and opportunities to purchase park passes at pop-up locations around the park. Work is outdoors in variable weather conditions and includes traffic management and flagging duties.
• Visitor Centres: Providing comprehensive information to the visiting public on a wide variety of topics including but not limited to: campgrounds, trails, points of interest, safety, wilderness travel, park regulations and policies. Also includes selling a variety of passes and permits, retail operations, and backcountry reservations.
Occasional facility cleaning and maintenance may be required.
Intent of the process
This process may be used to create a list of qualified candidates to staff similar positions with various tenures, security levels or linguistic profiles in same or other parts of the country.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
Contact information for 3 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Secondary school diploma or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
• Experience in anticipating and meeting public needs;
• Experience in resolving complaints while demonstrating tact and professionalism;
• Experience in handling cash and operating point of sales.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
English Essential or Bilingual Imperative - Level (_ _ B /_ _ B)
Information on language requirements
• Parks Canada, its mandate and values and principles;
• Banff National Park visitor services including but not limited to operations and facilities, activities, trails, cultural experiences, interpretive programs and special events;
• Parks Canada, regulations, permits and entry fees.
• Team Work: Works with others a common goal; able to trade off self-interest for team benefits; functions within ad works towards goal of the group;
• Client Focus: Providing service excellence to internal and/or external clients;
• Concern for Safety: Identifying hazardous or potentially hazardous situations and taking appropriate action to maintain a safe environment for self and others;
• Problem Solving: Identifying problems and the solutions to them.
• Exercises sound judgment;
• Communicates effectively orally;
• Communicates effectively in writing;
• Takes responsibility;
• Makes things happen;
• Shares our vision.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
The following qualifications may be applied and/or assessed because they are beneficial in carrying out the duties of the position. They may be used in screening, assessment or determining right fit for this selection process, so please describe how you meet any of the following criteria.
• Retail experience;
• Knowledge and experience in travelling to backcountry areas in Banff National Park on overnight/multi-night trips;
• Resilience: Able to adapt to difficult situations and adversity; develops and uses personal resources, strengths, and skills to overcome challenges and work through setbacks;
• Tact: Being respectful and polite when dealing with people; understands what to say/not say in difficult situations; able to facilitate a common goal.
• Willing and able to wear identifier clothing and personal safety equipment;
• Willing and able to work shifts, weekends, holidays and overtime;
• Willing and able to perform tasks such as: lifting heavy boxes, picking litter, and site maintenance;
• Willing and able to work outdoors and be exposed to various weather conditions;
• Make moderate physical effort to sit and stand for prolonged periods and/or clean facilities/grounds;
• Be exposed to noxious odours from car fumes; to dust, cleaning products and wet conditions;
• Occasionally demonstrate tasks to others;
• Valid class 5 drivers license.
Conditions of employment
MUST BE MET PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT
• Obtain and maintain Reliability Status including fingerprints
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
We will only accept on-line applications received via the jobs.gc.ca site. Persons who are unable to apply on-line must contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the closing date.
The Parks Canada Agency is established as a separate employer in the Federal Public Service under the Financial Administration Act. Persons appointed to the Agency continue to be part of the Public Service. The Parks Canada Agency operates under its own human resources framework outside of the Public Service Employment Act and in line with values of fairness, competence and respect, and its operating principles.
In accordance with paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act, information or material, whether provided directly by the candidate or otherwise obtained by the selection board, used during the selection process for the purpose of assessing a candidate may be used as part of the selection review and recourse processes. Such relevant information may be provided to third parties, such as other candidates or their representatives, who have a legitimate reason to be aware of that information.
Persons who are in receipt of a Canadian Government Public Service pension and are considering this employment opportunity with the Parks Canada Agency, should contact the PWGSC Public Service Pension Centre (1-800-561-7930) in order to determine the impact of an appointment on their pension benefit entitlements.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Katherine Hogan, Entry Gates and Visitor Centres Coordinator|
- Date modified: