Selection process number: 2023-PPD-EA-NT-141503
The Federal Public Service is stronger and most effective when we reflect the diversity of the Canadian population we serve. The Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) is dedicated to building and promoting a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce, representative of Canadian society where everyone feels they belong. All candidates in the area of selection who believe they are qualified are encouraged to apply, including Black, other racialized and Indigenous peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
Set yourself up for success! As the objective of this process is to assess qualifications needed for the position(s) to be staffed, let us know if you have a functional limitation or disability, which may affect your participation. For example, you may contact us if you need assistance in completing and submitting your application. Should you proceed to a future assessment stage, such as an exam or interview, we will send you an e-mail with additional information and you can determine if you may require an accommodation at that time (such as a different test format, an adaptive technology, or additional time). Assessment accommodations are designed to remove the obstacles without altering the criteria being assessed so that candidates with functional limitations can fully demonstrate their abilities.
If you require an accommodation during any phase of this assessment process, please use the Contact information below to request accommodation. All information received in relation to your accommodation will be kept confidential and your right to privacy will be protected.
If you are unable to submit your application before the closing date, please do not hesitate to contact Tania Desormeaux, HR assistant, by email at HRAU-UARH@ppsc-sppc.gc.ca.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Legal Assistants provide support to PPSC Prosecutors by helping prepare files for trial and sentencing, organizing and distributing disclosure, requesting documents from the court and organizing prosecution files.
The Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) is responsible for the prosecutions throughout the Northwest Territories.
The Northwest Territories Regional Office prosecutes Criminal Code offences, in addition to offences under other federal statutes typically prosecuted by the PPSC.
Yellowknife sits on the shore of Great Slave Lake, the tenth largest lake in the world. There are many attractions, seasonal festivities and plenty of activities to take part in year round for everybody to enjoy.
1) Northern Allowance - in addition to your base salary to offset the costs of living in Yellowknife.
2) Relocation assistance.
3) Vacation Travel Assistance - paid travel outside the territory once a year. The amount allocated varies.
4) Room for growth in our organization.
5) Training opportunities.
Intent of the process
The immediate need is to staff one (1) position on an indeterminate (permanent) basis or one (1) position for a one (1) year period.
A list of qualified candidates will be established from this process to staff future vacancies. As such, we encourage all persons in the area of selection seeking this type of opportunity to apply.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- Successful completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree in a law related field (already obtained OR obtained before appointment) or an acceptable combination of education, training, and/or experience.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
Asset Qualification - Education:
- Possession of a legal secretarial certificate or diploma (already obtained OR obtained before appointment).
Asset Qualification - Experience:
- Experience in preparing cases for litigation.
- Experience providing support to counsel.
- Experience working in a Crown Prosecutor’s Office.
- Experience in dealing with legal correspondence and legal files.
- Experience in reviewing, formatting and processing a variety of legal and non-legal documents.
- Experience working with an electronic information management system (such as iCase, GC DOCS, etc.).
- Experience working in a legal environment.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural environment, particularly in Indigenous communities.
- Experience using an electronic travel management system (Travel Amex) and coordinating travel.
- The organization is committed to establishing and maintaining a representative workforce. Qualified applicants who self-declare as members of a visible minority group, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and/or women may be selected for appointment to fulfill organizational needs.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
- Potential to learn
- Attention to Detail
- Thinking Things Through
- Showing Initiative and being Action Oriented
- Working Effectively with Others
- Demonstrate Integrity and Respect
- Communicate Effectively with Others
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Asset Qualification - Knowledge:
- Knowledge of legal research methods and practices.
Conditions of employment
Conditions of Employment:
- Security Clearance: Enhanced Reliability
- Medical Clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Natalie Crouch, Human Resources Advisor (she / her)||Tania Desormeaux, Human Resources Assistant (she / her)|
- Date modified: