Administrative Assistant - Resource Conservation
Selection process number: 2021-CAP-CBC-GI-OC-292
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
▶ We will accept on-line applications received via the jobs.ca.ca site. To submit an application on-line, please select the button "Apply Online" below.
▶ We will exceptionally accept email applications at email@example.com and mailed in applications to 2220 Harbour Road, Sidney, B.C. V8L 2P6 attn: Molly Clarkson.
✔ Are you an organized and self-motivated person with an eye for detail?
✔ Interested in working in protected areas management, but not sure which direction to head in?
✔ Excited to work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment in support of taking care of terrestrial and marine areas in the Salish Sea?
Then we have an opportunity for you!
The Gulf Islands National Park Reserve (GINPR) is looking for a part-time Administrative Assistant to support the GINPR Resource Conservation Program. In this role you will provide critical support services to the Resource Conservation Team, with a focus on supporting hiring processes and coordination of key activities that cut across team functions, such as volunteers and impact assessments.
Most days will find you at the beautiful GINPR Operation Centre in Sidney, where you will work closely with the Resource Conservation Manager and key Project Managers to plan and deliver on your administrative responsibilities. While your work will primarily be computer based, you will interact consistently with other staff, job applicants, volunteers and others in the course of your day. Occasionally, you will have opportunities to head out into the field to assist with ecological monitoring and restoration activities, such as tending sea gardens, counting clams, and planting native plants.
If you are interested in working in protected areas management and have some administrative experience, we would love to hear from you!
Parks Canada is a federal government agency responsible for the protection and presentation of Canada’s outstanding natural and cultural resources through a system of national parks, national marine conservation areas and national historic sites in all regions of Canada.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values. Diverse teams bring different perspectives and creative ideas that benefit our clients, the communities we serve and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from individuals with diverse abilities and from all backgrounds and identities.
Intent of the process
The intent of the process is to fill one temporary part-time position.
📌In recognition that GINPR lies within the in the territories of First Nations, including the Songhees Nation, the Esquimalt Nation, the W̱SÁNEĆ Nation (Tsartlip First Nation, Pauquachin First Nation, Tsawout First Nation, Tseycum First Nation, Malahat First Nation), and the Cowichan Nation (Cowichan Tribes, Halalt First Nation, Lyackson First Nation, Penelakut Tribe, and Stz'uminus First Nation), preference may be given to qualified Indigenous candidates who self-identify.
A list of qualified candidates may be established, and may be used to fill similar positions of various tenures
(temporary, indeterminate, full-time, part-time) and work locations.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• A secondary school diploma or employer-approved alternatives or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience (see Note 1).
1.The employer-approved alternatives to a secondary school diploma are: A satisfactory score on the Public Service Commission test approved as an alternative to a secondary school diploma; or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
An acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience is defined as a minimum of (1) course relevant to the duties of the position (e.g. courses taken through continuing education facilities, colleges, universities, professional government organizations or employers) and a minimum of (2) years of professional experience in a field relevant to the duties of the position.
• Experience providing administrative or project/program support services.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures, such as filing, formatting correspondence, responding to requests for information, general accounting procedures, mailing procedures.
• Ability to organize and coordinate meetings
• Ability to manage multiple tasks, changing priorities, and the pressure of deadlines.
• Ability to prepare and compile records/data into reports or spreadsheets using software programs such as MS Excel, MS Word and e-mail
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Effective interpersonal relationships
• Exercise sound judgment
• Attention to detail
• Makes things happen
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
The following are not essential to the job, but would be an asset in carrying out the duties of the position. It may be used in screening, assessment or determining right fit for this selection process:
• Experience providing Human Resources support, such as scheduling interviews, preparing and submitting forms, gathering applicant documentation, and inputting data.
• Experience coordinating volunteers, such as contacting volunteers regarding logistics, distributing and tracking volunteer agreements, and filing agreements.
Conditions of employment
• Obtain and maintain Reliability Status security clearance:
→ A security screening is completed by Parks Canada for candidates who are successful in the selection process. We are available to answer any questions applicants may have on this process.
• You will be required to possess and maintain a Class 5 driver’s license.
• You may be required to work shift-work, and/or irregular hours, and/or overtime, and/or weekends, and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays.
• You may be required to work flexible schedule to meet program delivery requirements.
• You will be required to wear a Parks Canada uniform while performing your duties.
• Willingness to work and/or travel in a variety of terrain and weather conditions and by various means of transportation.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
For tips to navigate the application process step by step, refer to the following site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW7P3g9hhI.
Parks Canada is committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity under the Employment Equity Act, and strives to ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse nature of Canadian society. We encourage women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of a visible minority group to self-identify in their application.
Please submit your completed application, including all of the above-mentioned documentation. Failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.
The Parks Canada Agency is established as a separate employer in the Federal Public Service under the Financial Administration Act. Persons appointed to the Agency continue to be part of the Public Service. The Parks Canada Agency operates under its own human resources framework outside of the Public Service Employment Act and in line with values of fairness, competence and respect, and its operating principles.
In accordance with paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act, information or material, whether provided directly by the candidate or otherwise obtained by the selection board, used during the selection process for the purpose of assessing a candidate may be used as part of the selection review and recourse processes. Such relevant information may be provided to third parties, such as other candidates or their representatives, who have a legitimate reason to be aware of that information.
Tips for applicants:
• Please provide complete and thorough details of your education and experience.
• Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided.
• Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Travel cost for individuals who are not Federal Public Servants will not be covered.
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
*Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination*
Parks Canada is a special operating agency of the Government of Canada and a separate employer. This means that our timeline for implementing the government’s direction is slightly different from the Core Public Administration. However, Parks Canada employees will also be expected to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or seek an acceptable exemption. This condition of employment applies to employees who are teleworking, working remotely or working onsite.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Date modified: