Selection process number: 2023-CAP-CBC-EA-TERM-001
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
We will only accept on-line applications received via the jobs.gc.ca site. Persons who are unable to apply on-line must contact email@example.com in order to determine an alternative method of assessment.
To submit an application on-line, please select the button "Apply Online" below.
As the Administrative Assistant, you will be reporting to the Site Manager/Park Superintendent and supporting the site operations. Your duties will be key to the smooth operation of the site or park reserve, providing valuable administrative support, like maintaining records and filing systems, arranging travel and meetings, purchasing, and processing financial and human resource records. In addition, the position prepares, edits and formats reports, letters and emails and frequently corresponds with the public, community groups and businesses.
Parks Canada is a federal government agency responsible for the protection and presentation of Canada’s outstanding natural and cultural resources through a system of national parks, national marine conservation areas and national historic sites in all regions of Canada.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values. Diverse teams bring different perspectives and creative ideas that benefit our clients, the communities we serve and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from individuals with diverse abilities and from all backgrounds and identities.
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to fill:
- one full-time term position at Gulf Islands National Park Reserve until October 2, 2023
- one full-time term position at Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites until December 31, 2023
- one anticipatory full-time position at Fort Langley National Historic Site.
These terms may be extended or become permanent.
A qualifying list will be established and may be used to fill similar positions of various tenures (indeterminate, seasonal, temporary, full-time, part-time), linguistic requirements and various locations within the Parks Canada Agency.
Positions to be filled: 2
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Successful completion of secondary school or Public Service Commission of Canada approved alternatives*.
*Note: Public Service Commission of Canada approved alternatives to a secondary school diploma:
• A satisfactory score on the Public Service Commission of Canada test approved as an alternative to a secondary school diploma; or
• An acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
• Experience providing administrative support services such as: maintaining records and filing systems, recording meeting minutes and arranging travel and meetings.
• Experience providing information and procedural advice to clients on the phone, in person and by email.
• Experience interacting with the public in a reception/orientation capacity.
• Experience in handling mailroom/courier services in an office environment.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
English Essential and/or Bilingual (English and French)
Gulf Island National Park Reserve – Bilingual (English and French)
Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites – English Essential
Fort Langley National Historic Site – English Essential
• Knowledge of Parks Canada.
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures, such as filing, formatting correspondence, responding to requests for information, general accounting procedures, mailing procedures.
ABILITIES & SKILLS:
• Ability to organize and coordinate meetings.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks, changing priorities, and the pressure of deadlines.
• Ability to prepare and compile records/data into reports or spreadsheets using software programs such as MS Excel, MS Word and e-mail.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Effective interpersonal relationships
• Exercise sound judgment
• Attention to detail
• Takes responsibility
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Experience in providing financial support services (e.g., handling invoices, processing payments, handling bank deposits, using financial management software such as SAP/Oracle).
• Experience providing Human Resources support, such as scheduling interviews, preparing and submitting forms, gathering applicant documentation, and inputting data.
• Experience in using a reservation or booking system in a campground, accommodation, or hospitality environment.
The additional experience qualifications are not essential to the job, but would be an asset in carrying out the duties of the position. They may be used in screening, assessment or determining right fit for this selection process.
Conditions of employment
• Obtain and maintain Reliability Status security clearance.
• You will be required to possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
• You may be required to work shift-work, and/or irregular hours, and/or overtime, and/or weekends, and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays.
• You may be required to work flexible schedule to meet program delivery requirements.
• You will be required to wear a Parks Canada uniform while performing your duties.
• Willingness to work and/or travel in a variety of terrain and weather conditions and by various means of transportation.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
For tips to navigate the application process step by step, refer to the following site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW7P3g9hhI.
Parks Canada is committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity under the Employment Equity Act, and strives to ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse nature of Canadian society. We encourage women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of a visible minority group to self-identify in their application.
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Please submit your completed application, including all of the above-mentioned documentation. Failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.
The Parks Canada Agency is established as a separate employer in the Federal Public Service under the Financial Administration Act. Persons appointed to the Agency continue to be part of the Public Service. The Parks Canada Agency operates under its own human resources framework outside of the Public Service Employment Act and in line with values of fairness, competence and respect, and its operating principles.
In accordance with paragraph 8(2)(a) of the Privacy Act, information or material, whether provided directly by the candidate or otherwise obtained by the selection board, used during the selection process for the purpose of assessing a candidate may be used as part of the selection review and recourse processes. Such relevant information may be provided to third parties, such as other candidates or their representatives, who have a legitimate reason to be aware of that information.
Tips for applicants:
• Please provide complete and thorough details of your education and experience.
• Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided.
• Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Travel cost for individuals who are not Federal Public Servants will not be covered.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Human Resources, Coastal BC Field Unit - Parks Canada/Government of Canada|
- Date modified: