Margaret Meagher Fellowship - Research Affiliate Program
Selection process number: 21-EXT-EA-GN-1030391
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The North Asia Bureau at Global Affairs Canada is launching the Margaret Meagher Fellowship program as part of the Asia Competency Initiative.
The purpose of the Margaret Meagher Fellowship is to deepen the Government of Canada understanding of China, and to foster the development of a next generation of Canadian policy makers and specialists who will be at the forefront in government, business, education and civil society.
The fellowship will contribute knowledge on the area of China’s political and commercial system, social and environmental issues, and their impact on Canada-China relations. This PhD or postdoctoral fellowship is ideally suited to an early-career post-doctoral fellow who wishes to pursue a career path bridging academia and policy making.
The position is a nine-month fellowship and a salary of $41,060. The fellowship includes contribution to statutory benefits (e.g. Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan).
Global Affairs Canada is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. Accommodations will be provided in all parts of the hiring process relating to any specialty requirements. Applicants should make their needs known in advance.
Intent of the process
The position is a nine-month fellowship starting September 7, 2021.
For further information, please contact Bernard Nguyen (email@example.com). Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three referees to the email address above.
The successful candidate will be required, prior to the start of employment, to provide a satisfactory security clearance.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
A covering letter "Emphasizing how the candidate’s knowledge and experience support Global Affairs Canada’s mandate"
Contact information for 3 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents enrolled full-time in Graduate Studies in any of the following departments of a recognized Canadian institution of higher learning among them Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, History, Economics, and who is pursuing a thesis stream program related to the fields mentioned above which include a China specialty.
- Experience in preparation and publication of manuscripts, and strong technical writing skills
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to take guided initiative and to work in an organized fashion within a fast-paced environment, including flexibility in shifting between independent and collaborative work and demonstrate collegiality and professionalism
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
Interested candidates must provide the following information:
• a complete transcript;
• a one page research proposal on a significant foreign policy issue linked to GAC’s mandate and its implications for Canada;
• proof of enrolment for 2019-20 in a recognized academic institution;
• a sample paper or publication; and
• the names of three references.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- Date modified: