Selection process number: 19-WCO-EA-VAN-122
Are you ready to join the best department with the happiest, most engaged workforce in the entire federal public service?
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is looking for the missing piece of the puzzle to join our BC Region Communications team.
You’ll be joining a team of four dedicated, hard-working communicators who love to have fun on the job.
You’ll regularly work with Ministers and their staff, while meeting with industry leaders, community groups and passionate entrepreneurs who all want to tell their stories about working with WD.
There’s potential to travel to amazing parts the province from Haida Gwaii to Skookumchuk, and all points in between.
When you’re not staffing public events, you’ll be working from our newly renovated office in downtown Vancouver with 360 views and lots of natural light.
You’ll have your own desk, but we encourage you to take your tablet and work from our collaborative pods located across the office. You’ll be inspired to work on any number of creative tasks that we throw at you.
Whether you’re writing speeches, producing videos or planning social media campaigns, we’re looking for someone who can work under the kind of pressure that turns coal into diamonds.
WD is small, nimble and unlike any public sector organization you’ve heard of.
Are you in?
Intent of the process
We intend to fill one permanent full-time IS-03 position through this process.
A pool of qualified candidates at the IS-03 may be created for future vacancies of various tenures.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
A covering letter in 1,000 words (maximum) "Use your cover letter to tell us a story of how you’d be a perfect fit for our team. Make sure to provide concrete examples of how you meet each of the essential experience qualifications, so we can screen you into the next stage. If you want to wow us, also include information on your experience with some or all of the asset experience qualifications."
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Our ideal candidate will have a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a specialization in Communications or demonstrate an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
You will bring experience in each of the following areas:
• Experience in conducting research for and writing and editing in at least two (2) of the following communications products: news releases, information backgrounders, speeches for senior or public officials, news articles and/or promotional materials.
• Experience in planning and staging external media events, conferences and/or trade shows.
• Experience in media monitoring.
• Experience in building and maintaining relationships with external partners/stakeholders.
• Experience in providing advice and support to management (manager or above).
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
The following criteria are considered assets. Although they are not mandatory, if you have experience in any of the following areas, we want to know more about it:
• Writing and editing social media and web content on behalf of a medium to large size professional organization.
• Experience providing advice and guidance to senior-level clients regarding communications activities and products.
• Experience in desktop publishing
• Experience in web content management systems.
• Experience in providing videography services and using video editing software.
• Experience in outreach or internal communications activities.
• Depth, breadth and scope of experience in any one or combination of the experience factors.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Our ideal candidate will have knowledge of the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following abilities and competencies:
• Ability to develop and produce communications products such as news releases, speaking notes, media advisories, social media messages, event proposals and logistical materials under tight deadlines
• Ability to organize media events and/or external public announcements
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrate integrity and respect
• Think things through
• Work effectively with others
Conditions of employment
Conditions of Employment:
• Reliability security clearance
• Willing and able to travel
• Willing and able to work overtime, often on short notice, including occasional weekends
• Must possess a current and valid driver’s licence
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Carolyn Veitch, Human Resources Consultant
- Date modified: