DEADLINE TO APPLY: January 22, 2024
What you will gain
As a student guide-interpreter at the Residence of the Governor General at Rideau Hall, you will have the opportunity to:
- develop your public speaking skills in both official languages
- gain recognized work experience within the federal public service
- work alongside other students with whom you will form lasting friendships
- develop your general knowledge and professional abilities
What you will do
Rideau Hall is the official residence and workplace of Canada’s governors general since 1867. As a student guide-interpreter, you will:
- work at an exceptionally beautiful site
- greet and guide visitors who are joining guided tours
- welcome guests and dignitaries at official events in the presence of the Governor General (occasionally)
- conduct tours to help visitors learn more about the responsibilities of the Governor General while discovering the history, architecture, and collections of the residence
Duration: Summer 2024
Full-time from early May to late August. There is a possibility of re-employment during the 2024-2025 academic year.
What we are looking for
As a Student guide-interpreters you must:
- be available to work full-time from early May to late August 2024
- be registered in a full-time post-secondary program at a recognized institution for the winter 2024 academic session
- return to full-time post-secondary studies in the fall 2024 academic session
- be at least the age of majority in Ontario (18 years old)
- meet the FSWEP eligibility criteria
We are seeking candidates who:
• have excellent oral communication skills in both official languages (English and French) *
• have solid presentation skills for various types of visitors (adults, children, etc.)
• are service oriented and team players
*Note: Candidates must be able to offer guided tours and answer complex questions in both official languages. Please indicate "Bilingual – English and French" in your application if you meet this criterion.
The Office of the Secretary to the Governor General (OSGG) is dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce that represents the Canadian population we serve. We encourage you to self-identify if you belong to an Employment Equity group as preference may be given to employees in these groups.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Conditions of employment
• wear and maintain a uniform;
• work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions
• obtain and maintain a Reliability Status security clearance
• respect the Code of Conduct of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General
• work a variable schedule that includes weekends, statutory holidays and occasional evenings
Please note that no relocation expenses will be reimbursed if you move as a result of this process. You must pay for your own living arrangements and other expenses while in the Ottawa area.
We encourage candidates to visit our “Becoming a Guide” webpage before applying.
The OSGG is also recruiting student guide-interpreters to fill positions at the Residence of the Governor General at the Citadelle of Québec (Québec City). Consult the Student guide-interpreter, Residence of the Governor General at the Citadelle of Québec - Summer 2024 for more information or to apply.
Our selection processes are inclusive and barrier-free. Contact us to request accommodation measures during any stage of the process. Any information you provide regarding accommodation will be kept confidential.
For more information on accommodation measures, consult Applying for Government of Canada jobs: Testing and accommodation measures - Canada.ca.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: January 22, 2024